Thursday, July 24, 2014

what is the international terminal of lax like now?

It has been a long while since I've flown out of the International Terminal (Tom Bradley) at LAX.  I knew it had been renovated so I was curious to see what it was like now.  (Mainly I wanted to see what restaurants/bars where available, since the original terminal was pretty abysmal.)

So, what is there now?


I went online to see the directory and was pleasantly surprised to see, among other eateries:
  • lamill coffee - love their coffee and pastries
  • larder at tavern - love the brentwood original so am assuming the airport version will also be good
  • umami burger - what's not to love about yummy burgers and cake monkey desserts?
  • chaya brasserie - where I used to happy hour in the beverly hills location
  • ink sack - sandwiches!
  • petrossian caviar & champagne bar - lovely way to lounge at an airport


There was also a decent array of shops to amuse oneself while waiting for flights such as Fred Segal, Kitson and the requisite duty free shop.  

Our flight was at 4:20pm so we had already had lunch at home. Otherwise I would have probably grabbed a burger at Umami. When we got into the terminal (after clearing through security - about 15 minutes), we explored the food court and shopping options.  I did some duty free shopping (which I'll describe in a separate shopping blog) and then parked myself at the wine bar - Vino Volo - until our flight was boarding.

Generally, I must say I really enjoyed the improved international terminal. 

Architecturally it looked impressive and had lots of artsy elements that were pleasing to the eye - everchanging videos complemented by an impressive glass ceiling.  The food and shopping options had a mix of high-end and casual so that there was something for everyone.  And it was nice to see an array of food choices that represented the diversity of Los Angeles.  They just need to add an In-and-Out and some more asian restaurants and they should be set! 

Next time you fly internationally through LAX, you can rest assured that you'll enjoy the food and shopping while you wait to board.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment