Wednesday, July 2, 2014

i got lasik surgery mainly to travel - was it worth it?

For years I watched as more and more of my friends got LASIK surgery but I kept delaying, afraid of having a blade or lasers near my eyes.  My fear slowly dissipated especially since most of my friends did not experience any major side effects from their surgeries after more than a decade, but a touch of fear still lingered...

It was not until another frustrating trip overseas where non-english speaking airport workers once again attempted to confiscate my saline solution from my carry-on luggage that I decided that I needed to get LASIK.  No more worrying about having enough daily contacts with me, in case some of them rip. No more lugging around a large, heavy saline solution bottle.  No more trying to explain that the large saline solution bottle is an exception to the 3 ounce carry-on rule.  No more!!


I got several recommendations from friends and co-workers and settled with Dr. Cornell in Beverly Hills.  I paid over $5000 (which included pre-op visits, the surgery, and multiple post-op check-ups) but I was happy to pay full price since these are my eyes.  I often see commercials about 2 for 1 deals, etc., and that simply makes me nervous.  Don't get me wrong - I love a good bargain.  I just don't think that I should try to get a bargain basement deal for eye surgery.

Dr. Cornell and his team were incredibly thorough and the surgery went relatively smoothly.  There was a slight complication in getting the suction tube on my left eye so after repeated attempts, I ended up looking like a vampire for a few days.  But all in all, it was still amazing to experience improved vision immediately.

Was it worth it to me?

YES!!!!

Not only did I achieve my key motivation which is being able to travel without the hassle of bringing contacts and saline solution, my general life and visual comfort has also dramatically improved.  I never realized how dry and uncomfortable my eyes really were on plane rides while wearing contacts, which then contributed to my overall discomfort on long plane rides.

It's been over 6 months since my surgery.   This will be my first international trip since the surgery.  I am looking forward to swimming in Capri without worrying about losing my contacts!


2 comments:

  1. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. lasik cataract

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!.. Yaldo Eye Center Grand Rapids, MI

    ReplyDelete