Wednesday, July 16, 2014

restaurant review: din tai fung - the taiwan original is still the best!



they even have a mascot!
Din Tai Fung is famous worldwide for their soup dumplings, which are delicious pillows of savory meat and soup broth that magically fill my mouth with happiness.  According to their website (www.dintaifungusa.com) they have locations in the United States, Taiwan, China, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Australia and Thailand.  I’ve personally had them in the USA (Arcadia location), Taiwan, Japan, Singapore and Thailand, and I have to say that the original location in Taiwan (Xinyi Road – no. 194, Sec. 2, Xinyi Rd., Da-an District) is still the best!  The texture, taste and temperature of the soup dumplings at that location are consistently perfect.  And I mean perfect.  The dumplings don’t even burn your mouth – just pop them in there and enjoy! 








classic soup dumplings at din tai fung (taipei).

 The Taipei location does not take reservations and it can be a long wait.  However, if you get there early around 10 or 10:30 am you can just walk on in and start feasting.  Otherwise be patient and wait for your number to be called.  The Xinyi location is at the start of Yangkang street and there are lots of goodies nearby (scallion pancakes, mango ice cream, bakeries, etc.) to munch on while you wait – just don’t get too full for your dumplings!  The last time my husband and I were there, we ordered so many dumplings that I think the waitress was worried for us, or rather me, since she didn't want me to get fat.  (Women in Taiwan are tiny!  I'm like a water buffalo there!)

Obviously, it’s not everyday that I can go to Taiwan so I am content to enjoy my dumplings at Din Tai Fung in Arcadia (which is about 30 minutes out of Los Angeles).  The menu in Arcadia, however, is much more limited than the Taipei location.  I typically order the following:

  •                Original soup dumplings (I don’t really like the crab ones) 
  •                Stir-fried green beans 
  •               Fried Rice
  •               Shanghai Rice Cakes
  •         Others: pork chop, house beef soup
And if you've never had the pleasure of experiencing the joy that is a soup dumpling - RUN! DON'T WALK to the Din Tai Fung nearest you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment