Wednesday, July 9, 2014

travel tip: doing laundry on the go


If you are like me and hate to check in luggage, then you may be faced with the need to do some laundry during your longer travels – especially underwear and socks.  I usually pack a little bit of laundry detergent if I'm going anywhere for longer than a week.  I opt for powder detergent in a ziplock bag and luckily this has never been mistaken for any illegal substances.  If you pack liquid detergent, make sure it’s in a leakproof container. (At asian markets, you can also get solid laundry soap bars which are handy for travel.)

By bringing detergent, this enables me to pack less underwear, socks and light tops.  I simply soak the dirty item for a few minutes in soapy water, then rinse well, roll in a towel tightly to wring out excess water, and then hang to dry.  If you think ahead and pack quick-dry or lighter fabrics, they should dry relatively quickly especially if you are in a hot location. 

Sazy Rock told me the little bottles of hotel shampoo/conditioner work almost as well so if you forget (or don’t want) to pack detergent, just use those.  I recently got a Febreze/Gain spray that is supposed to “freshen” your clothing.  I will be taking it on my trip to Italy and will report back if it is effective!

You can also bring your own clothesline, but I've never felt that I needed it.  Dentite is loaning me hers for my upcoming trip so I guess I'll see if it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment