Wednesday, July 9, 2014

walking across the brooklyn bridge

(New York, New York).  One of the nicest free experiences in New York has to be walking across 
the Brooklyn Bridge and enjoying the amazing views of the Manhattan skyline (particularly at sunset if you time it properly).  The Brooklyn Bridge connects Manhattan and Brooklyn and there is a dedicated pedestrian lane where people can walk, jog or roller blade over the East River.  For specific information on how to get on the bridge from either end, check out this article on About.com.

I usually have 2 itineraries when I want to cross the bridge.


First option (cab across, then walk back):  I will take a cab across the bridge and get dropped off at the DUMBO area (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass).  I will enjoy the little park like area for a bit, and then check out some local art galleries, bars and boutiques nearby.  If it's near lunch or dinner time, I might go to Grimaldi's for pizza.  Then I work off the calories by walking across the bridge back to Manhattan.  I get on the bridge via an underpass on Washington Street.  There are signs so it shouldn't be hard to find.  Also, there are usually lots of people doing the same thing (locals and tourists) so you can easily just follow others or ask for directions.   It's not a long walk - maybe 10 to 15 minutes depending on your speed or how often you stop to take pictures or to look at the views.

It's pretty close to Chinatown when you crossover, and if I'm still hungry or want a snack, I may stop at Joe's Shanghai Dumpling for soup dumplings (go to the original location on 9 Pell Street; the other locations and sister restaurants are simply not as good even if they try to convince you it's from the same kitchen) or the Original Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (try the Almond Cookie flavor - it literally tastes like a Chinese almond cookie in ice cream form).

Second option (walk across and walk back): I either walk or take the subway to Chinatown depending on where I'm staying in the city.  Then I grab a snack at one of the many bakeries or at Prosperity Dumpling.  Then I walk across the bridge towards Brooklyn and hang out at DUMBO, etc., before deciding if I want to go to Grimaldi's or not.  Regardless I walk back and stay to eat in Chinatown, or either walk or take the subway to Lower East Side where I might eat at the Meatball Shop and/or hang out at many of the bars I enjoy there (e.g., Milk & Honey, Schiller's Liquor Bar).  Reservations are required for Milk & Honey so you will need to pre-plan if you want to go there.

Regardless of which option you choose, if you time it well and catch the sunset while you are
walking across the bridge, you will be gifted with breathtaking views of the city.  If you want to know when the sun sets that day, just google it and plan accordingly.  (How did I live before google?)

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment