Monday, July 7, 2014

restaurant review: husk (charleston, south carolina)

On a recent trip to Charleston, South Carolina, the hubby and I drank and dined at Husk Restaurant.  He's eaten there before but, it was my first time.  He's hyped it to me so much I felt certain it was going to suck.  Well, it didn't. We had an enjoyable evening and, while one dish had a flaw, most everything we ate were tasty.  Husk locally sourced all the ingredients (they proudly listed the farms from which all the food came from on a chalkboard near the entrance), which I think made the quality of food so high. I am convinced I gained five pounds after the meal because we ate so much food.  I listed everything we ate below.  You've been warned.
Bread and butter.

The scene

Finding the restaurant and bar, located in two separate but adjacent buildings, was easy because it was in the historic old town on Queen Street near Meeting Street. The two-storey bar looked like it may have been a barn (or a really quaint garage) at some point. We chose our booze from a large selection of bourbon, plus some beers and wines, which made for a lively atmosphere.

The restaurant may have been one of those houses owned by colonials back in the 1700s with its wide two-storey patio conducive to al fresco dining. Inside, the big windows, mirrors and light walls made the dining area bright and full of energy.
Seven cured meats.

Most patrons in the bar and restaurant were wearing business casual attire, although jeans were perfectly acceptable.

The drinks

Prior to dinner, we went to the Husk bar to enjoy some libations.  The hubby had two martinis - very cold like you could skate on it - with a twist.  The bartender clearly knew how to make them because the hubs downed both of them.

Fire Roasted Oysters with spicy pepper.

I had a sazerac, which was perfect (not sweet), and a plum shrub, which was nice and tart - so good on a humid and hot evening.

The food

Bread - Yep, the free bread was awesome! First off, it was warm. Second, it was fluffy. Third, it came with honey butter whipped with pork fat. Heaven!

Cured Meats - The good folks at Husk cured their own meat, which included lardo and pepperoni.  The lardo melted in my mouth while the pepperoni had a hint of spiciness from the crushed red peppers.

Oysters - The fire roasted oysters (the plate came with seven of them) were similarly delicious -- although, I think I still prefer my oysters raw.  That being said, I still ate all of them with enthusiasm (the hubs has an allergy to this type of bivalve so I wasn't just being greedy...).

Pig Ears Lettuce Wraps with Kimchi.
Pig Ears - While the rest of the food we ate were delicious, perhaps my favorite dish was the Pig Ears with Kimchi. The ears were sliced thin and were crunchy. The Kimchi pickled cucumbers and peppers were tart yet a little sweet, and just a tad spicy.  The dish "felt" healthy because the lettuce the ingredients were wrapped in was so fresh. Texture and flavor - what more could a hungry gal ask for?

On to the main dishes.

Pork Chop - It was a nice, big and thick piece. Most of the pork was perfectly pink although I think a small part of it (oddly enough, towards the edge) could've used a little bit more cooking. But, after eating around that part, the meat was juicy.

Pork Chop with cabbage.
Quail - I enjoyed the quail dish, which was juicy and had a nice color on the skin.

Side dish - Finally, the eggplant and sweet pea side dish was so good.  The hubs enjoyed the peas but I thought the eggplant was great - it was meaty and had a sweetness to it that reminded me of a Thai eggplant dish.

Normally, I'd have dessert.  But, as you see (or read), I think we ordered more than enough for a party of four -- except it was just the hubs and me. So, we left with a full and satisfied tummy but with no sweets ending.

The service
Quail with Brussels  sprouts.

Everyone - both at the bar and the restaurant - was friendly. When we showed up for drinks at the bar, the server offered to check us in at the restaurant so we didn't have to rush off if we were enjoying our drinks a little bit too much.  When I mentioned how much I was enjoying my Plum Shrub, our server, without being asked, showed us a jar of the shrub they use (a locally-based beverage company).  At the restaurant, the server properly spaced out the food so we were neither left wondering where our food went nor amazed at how fast they prepared the grub.  The only thing that was a bit of a turn off was when the sommelier came to our table to bring our bottle of wine, his shirt appeared to have water (sweat?) marks in the chestular area.  Other than that, we had no complaints and had a fun drinking and dining experience.
Japanese eggplant, shiitake and sweet peas.

The price

The meal was not cheap. Excluding the bar drinks, the meal (including a bottle of wine) costs around $250 with tip. Was it worth it? I wish it was cheaper, of course. But, we did eat quality ingredients served generously, received friendly and prompt service, and (but for a tiny flaw in a small part of the pork chop) ate tasty food. I'd probably visit again.

How to get a table

I found it easy to book a table through OpenTable. Otherwise, you may call the restaurant at (843) 577-2500 to make a reservation.

Have you eaten at Husk? Do you agree or disagree with the above?

No comments:

Post a Comment