Monday, July 14, 2014

all about the sazerac

A sazerac from Kingfish.
I've had many favorite cocktails throughout my (mid)life time.  There was a time long ago when I liked tequila based cocktails (or just tequila). Then, I switched to vodka based cocktails (or just vodka).

Now that I am a bit older, my palette and attitude towards cocktails have changed.  I enjoy my spirits for their taste and not as a path towards inebriation.  For the best part of a decade, my go-to cocktail has been the Sazerac.  So, what is a Sazerac?

Sazerac is the official cocktail of New Orleans. Sorry folks, it is not the Hurricane - that overly sweet drink Bourbon Street party makers like to order so much. Yukk! I like Sazeracs so much that my handle, Sazy Rock, pays homage to it.

A few quick facts about the Sazerac:

  • it was born in New Orleans before the Civil War even started
  • it's probably the oldest American cocktail 
  • it's traditionally made of cognac, sugar cubes, Peychaud bitters, absinthe and a lemon peel
  • when the US banned absinthe around Prohibition, Herbsaint was used as a substitute
  • rye whiskey is now commonly used over cognac (but I like mine half rye and half cognac)
  • the result is a delicious (albeit potent) drink with a touch - just a touch - of sweetness

Although a lot of bartenders in any city can theoretically make a sazerac, try to order one when you next visit New Orleans. You can pretty much order it anywhere in NOLA. But, I like to drink it at Kingfish in the French Quarter. Why? Because bartender extraordinaire Chris McMillian, fourth generation bartender and co-founder of the Museum of the American Cocktail, helms the bar and he rocks the Sazerac. Here he is doing his thing. Cheers!

Just remember, if you make your own Sazerac, don't use simple syrup -- it won't be good.  Enjoy the muddling.  It'll be worth it.

One last thing - drink responsibly - walk, take public transportation, get a sober designated driver, hail a cab and/or get Uber.

Have you tried a Sazerac? What's your favorite cocktail?

No comments:

Post a Comment