Wednesday, July 30, 2014

my experience using t-mobile's unlimited data coverage in italy

Me with my trusty map app.
I had been planning my honeymoon in Italy (June - July 2014) since the fall of 2013.  I was pleased when T-mobile announced that it would be offering unlimited data coverage globally starting in October 2013 (* note you have to check if the country you are visiting is included in their global list).  I have an iphone 5s and I knew it would be very convenient if I could use it in Italy - especially my map, currency converter and translation apps - without incurring exorbitant roaming charges.

I called T-mobile to confirm that I could use my phone without roaming charges in Italy.  The T-mobile representative told me there would be no roaming and I would get free unlimited texting and that international calls would be 20 cents per minute (plus taxes and fees).  For more information click here.

It all sounded cool in theory.  So what was my actual experience like in Italy?


Overall, it was quite satisfactory.  The connection was strongest and fastest in Bologna, Positano and Rome.  It was pretty good in Florence and Sorrento, but slow in Greve in Chianti, Siena and Venice.

Regardless, I was able to check and reply to emails whenever and wherever I was in Italy.  More importantly, I was able to utilize my map apps and find restaurants and tourist sites easily.  I was never really able to use my translation app but that might have been due to the app and not the coverage.  I was also able to send texts and photos (but it was very slow and spotty in Florence).  I only made a few calls in Positano and they went through just fine.

It was nice to have the peace of mind that I could reach people (or be reached) in an emergency.  From a practical standpoint, being able to use my map applications was a true life-saver while traveling through Italy and I couldn't have done it without t-mobile's coverage.  So, thanks t-mobile!

No comments:

Post a Comment