Monday, May 18, 2015

restaurant review: moon in tallinn, estonia

Moon.
Once again, my buddy, Mel, had recommended a restaurant and he sent me to a place called, Moon. Located outside the old town in a residential area, it was a nice walk to see what was outside the old city walls. 

The Scene

Of all the restaurants I've visited, Moon had the most local diners I have ever seen during my stay in Tallinn. It was also the most lively. When I first arrived, there were already several diners there. Throughout the course of my meal, every single table became filled with people. People also came and went to pick up food.
Inside Moon when I first walked in.


Luckily, I was still able to snag a table during lunch without a reservation. That being said, the host seated me at a table a bit off to the side, close to a hallway leading to the restroom and next to the stairway leading to the kitchen. 
The view from my table.

The Food


  • Rye bread - the bread was chewy and the butter was fridge fresh.

Bread.

  • Stewed eel - quite possibly my favorite single dish in Tallinn, the eel was soft, and a bit sweet -- probably from the apple wine. The beetroot salad had a balanced flavor between tanginess and sweetness. 

Eel.

  • Salmon pie - the fish was perfectly steamed in the pie, which was flaky with a thin crust. The roasted beets, and the pickled carrots and onions had a nice snap. The quail egg was boiled perfectly (no grey outer yolk), and the horseradish sauce provided a bit of spice. 

Salmon.

The Service

The server was nice and personable enough. Nothing stood out one way or another.

The Price 

Unsurprisingly by now, my meal was about €30. I don't begrudge them the price, however. That eel was well worth it.

The Verdict 

I enjoyed this casual joint and recommend it. If you're in town, please check it out. I still remember that eel and wish I could have ordered it as a starter, as a main and as a dessert.



Have you dined at Moon? What did you think? Where have you eaten the best eel dish in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment