Wednesday, May 6, 2015

restaurant review: hog island oyster co (with the best grilled cheese sandwich ever!)


(San Francisco, CA).  Every single time I visit San Francisco – whether for work or play – I make it a point to visit Hog Island Oyster Co. because I truly believe it has THE BEST GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH ever!  The seafood is also quite spectacular but the star of the show for me here will always be the grilled cheese.  In fact, this sandwich has made many a cameo in my dreams - literally.


The sandwich is made with 3 types of delectable cheeses from Cowgirl Creamery -
fromage blanc, Vella mezzo secco and cave-aged Gruyere.  The cheeses are creamy, flavorful and nutty and served on grilled Acme bread which gives the sandwich a satisfactory heft and crunch.  There is a nice cheese to bread ratio and the combination with the pickled vegetables is pure perfection.  They pickle the veggies themselves so it’s always a surprise what you’ll get – carrots, cauliflower, fennel, green beans, etc.


 
I’ve enjoyed this sandwich for about 15 years and the quality has never wavered.  I did notice on this last visit that it seemed a tad smaller but this may have been because I was sharing it.  (Tip – don’t share the sandwich.)
 


Along with my grilled cheese I also had some grilled oysters which were lovely.  Fresh and briney with a buttery embrace.
 


On my second visit during the same business trip, I tried the clam steamers with pasta … yum!  And my friend had shrimp and grits which looked amazing.
 


Extra bonus?  The bar and cocktails here are phenomenal, as well as the uber friendly, humorous and knowledgeable service.  
 


Extra extra bonus?  You can enjoy your delicious meal and libations with a view of the water and bridge.  What could be better?




I usually go to the Ferry Building location.  See here for other recommendations at the Ferry Building.

What restaurants do you find yourself returning to over and over again?

2 comments:

  1. If you enjoy the cheeses from Cowgirl Creamery, be sure to take their tour and tasting over in Marin County. I think they advise making reservations. It's fun and tasty!

    Great review and pictures. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'll definitely have to try that next time I'm in the area!

      Delete