Monday, May 25, 2015

restaurant review: biblioteka no. 1 in riga, latvia


Biblioteka No. 1.
During my short stay in Riga, there were a few places I wanted to visit. I also had to juggle where to eat and when. Biblioteka No. 1 was normally only open for dinner -- except on Sundays, when they served brunch. So, I decided to brunch it.

The Scene
Inside the restaurant.

The place was bright with big windows overlooking the park -- perfect for a Sunday brunch. Diners included couples, families and me. The locals seemed to be of the wealthy variety.
The view from my table.

The Food


The impressive buffet included salmon sashimi, fresh oysters, herring, fried shrimp, sushi rolls, salmon salad, and more. I particularly liked the freshness and quality of the ingredients.
The buffet spread.
The buffet spread.
From the buffet.
I also tried one of the hot dishes, which were made to order. My sea bass had crisp skin. The roasted Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots were tasty and cooked in a lot of garlic butter. 
Hot dishes made to order.
Sea bass made to order.

In addition to the savory dishes - both hot and cold - the buffet table also included an array of desserts. I tried some but I couldn't indulge as much because I was very full at this point.
The buffet spread.

Overall, I thought that the buffet table had the best dishes.

The Service

The host and the servers were all very friendly but formal, polite and nice. They spoke English well. They also accommodated my request to sit by the window.
The Price 

I thought that my meal was a good deal at €35, which included one cocktail (I had a Kir Royale, which was a bit too sweet for me), and all one can eat cold and hot dishes. Not that it matters but the place was also very posh looking overlooking a very pretty park.

The Verdict

For a buffet, the quality of the ingredients was very high. I enjoyed the fresh seafood a lot. If I had more time in town, I would have tried their dinner service. 


Have you dined at Biblioteka No. 1? What did you think? What was your best meal in Riga?

No comments:

Post a Comment