Monday, May 4, 2015

restaurant review: leib in tallinn, estonia

Leib.
My interwebs research of good places to dine in Tallinn brought me to Leib. I heard many good things about the food and the chef so I thought it would be a good place to check out.

Below are my thoughts.

The Scene 

Located adjacent to a Scottish garden -- there were busts of Sean Connery and Robert Burns in the garden -- I suspect the place would have been a perfect place to dine during warm days and nights. Alas, I was there in the dead of winter and all I got was an icy, wet and muddy garden.



The Scottish Garden leading towards Lieb.

I walked in without a reservation one cold winter's day. It looked like the place was big because I saw other diners come in but they were never seated near me. Instead, I sat mostly alone with two other groups of diners in the main dining room.


Inside Lieb.
The Food
  • The rye bread with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, which I was told was the chef's family recipe that was tweaked just a little bit, was tasty with a nice crunchy crust. The butter was a bit hard (perhaps because the whipped butter at Neh spoiled me). If I had to rank the breads I've eaten in Tallinn, I'd say Leib's came second best. 
Breads.
  • The marinated Baltic herring had a subtle vinegar taste. The pickled veggies were tasty and crunchy. I thought the creaminess of the cottage cheese, the sharpness of the pickles and the vinegary taste of the herring worked well together to produce something refreshing.
Baltic herring.

  • The pork cheeks were rich and sweet. I found the dark beer sauce a bit too salty, however. The (Apple?) chips provided texture for the dish.
Pork cheeks.

The Service

The server was friendly and spoke English well. He had a knack, however, of asking me if everything was okay every time I took a bite. Is there a school for that?

The Price

At around €30, I was beginning to suspect that lunches around Tallinn at sit-down restaurants cost about that much. Again, I thanked my luck stars that the exchange rate favored the dollar.

The Verdict

It was an enjoyable meal and I am glad I tried it. Would I go back? Probably.



Have you dined at Leib? Please share your thoughts on your meal below.

No comments:

Post a Comment