Thursday, May 14, 2015

hotel review: hilton san francisco financial district


(San Francisco, CA).  I have traveled so often to San Francisco and stayed at so many business hotels here that I was surprised when I actually arrived at the Hilton Financial District and discovered that it was new to me. It is located at the edge of Chinatown and the Financial District, which makes it convenient for work and close to tasty Chinese food!  Bonus points!  

So how was my experience?


Check-In:  Very smooth and efficient.  The hotel clearly caters to the business traveler - in fact the entire lobby area was designed to meet all the needs of a business traveler.  There was a nice business area with many computers and printers; there was an efficient bar that served coffee and juices in the morning and alcohol in the evenings; then there was a nice lounge with massage chairs.  Overall the decor was modern with an oriental touch and the atmosphere was airy and bright.


Room:  My room was standard-sized with a decent sized TV, coffeemaker, and safe in the closet.  The bed was quite firm and comfortable.  I really enjoyed the built-in desk/counter along the outside wall which provided ample work space.


The bathroom was also standard sized and had pretty good toiletries (Peter Thomas Roth).


All in all - pretty much what I expect for a business hotel room.  And I had no noise issues which is a plus.

Location:  As noted, this hotel was nicely situated at the border of Chinatown and a hop skip away from the Financial District.   In fact my meeting was only a 5 minute walk away.  I was also able to walk to Union Square (10 minute walk) and to the Ferry Building (15 minute walk).  

It is also very close to R&G Lounge - a very popular and well reviewed Chinese restaurant in San Francisco.  On my first night in San Francisco, I indulged in a small order of Peking Duck and a glass of Oban.  It was absolutely divine!


Room Service:  I was attending a multi-day conference so didn't get to enjoy the room service very much.  On my last morning (while recovering from a mysterious stomach bug), I decided to order some congee for breakfast.  While I needed something bland to soothe my stomach, I was a little disappointed with the condiments that came with the congee - sad chicken cubes, suspicious looking shrimp and some scallions.  I'm not sure I can recommend the actual food but the service was nice.

Gym, etc.:  I didn't work out in the gym or use the spa but my colleagues did and remarked that it the gym was quite small, with a few treadmills and some weights.  After hearing that I didn't feel compelled to go especially if I can just work out in my room.

Check-out:  Also very easy and convenient.  The bill was accurate.

Final Word:  A good choice for a business stay especially if it's close to your work destination.  Comfortable and efficient.

Rate per night:  approximately $274.


No comments:

Post a Comment