Friday, May 9, 2014

martinikitty's favorite places to frequent in new orleans

Street performers on Bourbon.
I've been to New Orleans several times for its annual Jazz & Heritage Festival (NOLA Jazzfest) and each time I find myself falling in love with the city more and more.  Who could possibly resist the amazing food, cocktails, music and joyous energy that permeates throughout this wonderful place?  I certainly could not.  And the fact that this is where I met my husband is simply icing on the cake.  NOLA will forever hold a special place in my heart and I look forward to visiting many more times in the future.

While I always like trying places I haven't been to before wherever I am, there are still those places that you miss and want to enjoy over and over again.  I'm not necessarily saying these are the best places in New Orleans, but rather, these are the places that I cannot imagine skipping whenever I return to New Orleans.



    At Mother's.
  • Mother's Restaurant - Traditionally my first stop in the city after I check into my hotel.  I absolutely love love love the crawfish etouffee here.  I don't know what magical goodness is in this but it's seriously addictive! 
  • Napoleon House - This is my favorite place for a sazerac (or two...or three...).  I can sit there for hours.
  • Carousel Bar - Yes the spinning bar is a bit gimmicky but it doesn't ever seem to bother me when I have one of their delicious bloody marys in hand.  Oddly enough, I rarely if ever order bloody marys in any other part of the country, but the moment I step into New Orleans, I'm ready to have one.  I still recall how tickled I was when I had my first NOLA bloody mary with a pickled green bean.   So much tastier than a celery stick!  (The Carousel Bar is located in Hotel Monteleone.)
  • Cafe du Monde - No visit to New Orleans is complete without a visit to this 24-hour "coffee stand".  The beignets are decadent and completely worth getting showered by white powdery sugar.  I usually like going here late on my first night in the city - sort of a welcome back treat to myself.
    Feast at Willie Mae's.




  • Willie Mae's Scotch House (2401 St. Ann St)- Great fried chicken, fried shrimp and butter beans.  Just simple and delicious home-style cooking.
At Jacques Imo, with Jacques Imo and a buddy.
Bloody Mary at the Carousel Bar.
  •  Jacques Imos - A frolicking, fun place to drink and eat food prepared by a chef that embodies the infectious spirit of New Orleans.  Most people come to try the Alligator Cheesecake, but I usually get the pork chop or a fish dish.  There is usually a wait, but somehow that's not so bad when there is basically a street party outside every night ( and a man grilling fresh oysters for sale .. mmmm).  The last time I went, everyone in my group poo-poo'd my idea to have oysters before dinner but when they were ready, they gobbled it up and I only got one grilled oyster myself.  Next time, I'm ordering two dozen!
  • Frenchmen Street - I'm not one of those people who denounce Bourbon Street as being too touristy.  Don't get me wrong - Bourbon is touristy, but I enjoy it - and if you get tired of the craziness there, you can easily walk away towards Frenchmen Street where it's a bit more mellow and you can enjoy the wonderful music of the city in local night clubs without spending a fortune on cover charges.  (I did notice on a recent visit, they did have lines and cover charges similar to what they do in LA, which was disappointing, but the locals told me that it only happens during the large festivals when there are lots of tourists - so if you visit during less crowded times, this shouldn't be a problem.)  It's a great place to see upcoming local talent (or even,
    Beignets at Cafe du Monde.
    established talent, if you are lucky) jamming away just for the love of music.
  • Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar - I don't know why but I usually end up at this bar every night.  I don't even think there's a particular drink I get here, but I love the vibe and listening to the piano bar.  Supposedly it's haunted.  The ladies room is a bit creepy.
  • Upperline Restaurant - I've been recommending this to people for years and so far no one has ever been disappointed.  Consistently great food and owned by a lovely lady.  This is the first place I ever had turtle soup with a touch of sherry.
  • Verti Marte (1201 Royal St.) - This may seem random, but this nondescript (ok, downright shabby) looking market/deli manages to have a huge menu of amazing food.  I think they are open 24 hours a day and you can come in and get po'boys, hamburgers, pasta, etc.  It's the perfect place to get food after a night of drinking.  I heard Angelina Jolie brings her kids here for food when they are in town.  I'm not sure what she eats there (if anything), but I know the shrimp po'boy I got hit the spot perfectly. And I know it wasn't just because I was drunk, because I had the leftovers the next morning and it was still amazing!
  • Normally I would have listed Kermit Ruffin's Speakeasy Bar in Treme but unfortunately he closed it recently ... (sniff)... it was such a great place to listen to amazing music and have good food.  Such a shame....
What are your must-go's in New Orleans?  Please comment below!




1 comment:

  1. NOLA!! The debris sandwich at Mother's is a classic and Stanley's right off Jackson Square has amazing breakfast dishes for reasonable prices.

    ReplyDelete