Wednesday, May 14, 2014

a little taste of japan in west los angeles - sawtelle

Hide Sushi.
The stretch of Sawtelle Boulevard between Santa Monica Boulevard and Olympic Boulevard is sometimes called "Sawtelle" or "Little Osaka" and is home to a mix of traditional and trendy restaurants, boutiques and businesses that celebrate Japanese cuisine and culture.  There are also non-Japanese businesses here, but when you stroll through this area, it is like getting a mini experience of Japan.  You can indulge your taste buds in all sorts of Japanese foods such as sushi, ramen, shabu shabu, yakitori, curry and crepes (Japanese-style!).  There are also great little boutiques carrying unique gifts that
showcase the many facets of Japanese pop culture.  It's an enjoyable "attraction" for both locals and tourists alike.

Giant Robot.
I really enjoy spending leisurely afternoons here.  I'll grab lunch and dessert and then spend the rest of the time shopping for unique gifts and/or asian makeup and groceries.  There are a few paid lots and metered parking spaces, but I usually just park a few blocks into the residential areas for free.  There are parking restrictions so be mindful.

Below are some of my favorites places to go to when I'm in the area.



Gifts - This area has wonderful small boutiques and gift shops that carry all sorts of unique items that you can't find at any random mall - ranging from the super cute to the bizarre.  I specifically like:
  • Giant Robot - For really cool kitschy T-shirts, art books, and figurines.
  •  Black Market - For cool gifts, journals, T-shirts, funky jewelry and accessories, hip men's shoes, art books, etc.
  • Tokyo Japanese Outlet - This place has so much stuff!  It's like a mini japanese rite-aid without the pharmaceuticals.  You can buy asian candy and snacks, beauty stuff, bathroom and kitchen accessories, hello kitty and other sanrio stuff, anime figurines, tea sets, etc.  I can never walk out without buying something.  Recent purchases included a toothbrush holder, ice cube modes in cute shapes, and adorable notecards and pens.
Wall of eyelashes!
All things Hello Kitty at Tokyo Japanese Outlet!
Asian makeup and skincare - Whenever I have a hankering for asian makeup/skincare/haircare (or I need to re-purchase my Bioderma cleansing water),  I come to Make Asobi (2115 Sawtelle).  They have an amazing array of skincare, makeup, false eyelashes (an entire wall!), etc., from Japan, Korea and Taiwan.  It can be a bit overwhelming, but it's always fun to pick up something new here.  If you are hunting for a particular asian bb or cc cream or toner or whatever, check this place out because chances are they will have it! 

Nursery (Garden) - If I need to update my garden, I will go to Hashimoto Nursery.  This is my go-to nursery because their plants are gorgeous and super well-maintained.  You can probably find cheaper plants if you go somewhere else, but you will definitely see a difference in quality.  I do not have a green thumb and I've killed many plants in my life, but never one that I bought from Hashimoto.

Market - If I need to stock up on Japanese snacks, ice cream, or to pickup pre-made sushi or bento boxes and I happen to be in the area, I will go to Nijiya Market.  They also have very fresh fish, meat and produce. 

Restaurants - There are so many great options for food on the street that you can't really go wrong, but these are the places I tend to frequent (and not all are Japanese).
Tsujita LA

  • Tsujita LA (and annex) - This has been repeatedly named as one of the best ramen places in Los Angeles, which explains the inevitable long lines that form here everyday.  The ramen is quite good and very rich in flavor and texture.  Please note that the main restaurant only serves ramen at lunchtime, while the annex serves ramen all day (but they don't serve the exact same ramen that they serve at the main restaurant which is perplexing). 
  • Hide Sushi - I've been going to this sushi place since my law school days.  They serve traditional sushi at affordable prices.  The standouts (for me) are the spicy scallop rolls and the dynamite.
  • Furaibo (2068 Sawtelle) - A great late night place for Japanese chicken wings and beer.  They are only open for dinner.
  • Plan Check - This restaurant specializes in American comfort food.  I think it has great burgers and cocktails.  My favorite burgers are the original Plan Check burger and the Southern Fry (basically fried chicken on a
    Dentite and I at Plan Check.
    bun).  They also have donuts made to order served with jam and cream.  mmmmmm.  donuts...
  • R.O.C. Kitchen (2049 Sawtelle) - This place is owned by a lady from Taipei and they serve Taiwanese street food, including soup dumplings.  I feel I owe it to my peeps to support this place, but I find the food a bit inconsistent.  Some of it is pretty good (e.g., the pork chop, scallion pancakes) but some of it is pretty disappointing (e.g., the soup dumplings and beef roll).  I'm hoping things will improve because there's no other place to get Taiwanese food on the westside right now.
  • Hurry Curry - This place is consistently good for a simple, quick lunch.  Service is so nice and
    Lunch at Hurry Curry.
    if you want Japanese curry or Japanese style spaghetti, then this is the place for you.
  • Bar Hayama - This restaurant took over the original space of Sushi Sasabune and made it more contemporary and hip (with a very cool outdoor fire pit).  It is a bit more high-end and serves their fare with a nice selection of wines, sakes, and cocktails.  I don't think it's amazing sushi, but it's consistently good and makes for a fun evening out.  Also a good date place.
Desserts -  There are a myriad of choices for desserts on the street.  You can get mochi ice cream at Nijiya Market,  cream puffs at Beard Papa (2130 Sawtelle Blvd.), boba at the Volcano Tea House (2111 Sawtelle Blvd.), or my favorite - snow cream shaved ice at Blockheads.  It's basically an updated version of Taiwanese shaved ice - where ice cream is frozen and then shaved as shaved ice and then topped with your choice of toppings and drizzled with condensed milk or other flavors.  So good and refreshing!  It's a perfect summer treat!

Mmmm shaved snow cream at Blockheads with honey boba, mango and egg custard.

What are some of your favorite places on Sawtelle?  Comment below and let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment