Thursday, May 15, 2014

good bye hot doug's!


(Chicago, Illinois).  One of my best experiences in Chicago was eating at Hot Doug's – the self-proclaimed Sausage Superstore and Encased Meat Emporium.  I remember dragging my now-husband out of bed so we could get into line before the restaurant opened at 10:30 a.m., and listening to him grumble until he saw the massive line already forming when we arrived around 10:00 a.m.  His annoyance lingered as we waited for over an hour, but the moment he took one bite all of his annoyance and frustration disappeared.  It was like magic!  
In front of Hot Doug's.

We shared The Dog (Chicago-style), the Elvis (pork polish sausage) and the Foie Gras and Duck Sauterne Sausage Dog with a heaping serving of Duck Fat Fries.  Everything was mouth-wateringly delicious.  I particularly remember how well the soft, bouncy buns complimented the delicious sausages.  And the fries!  Unhealthy – yes.  A bit greasy – yes.  Worth it – double yes!

However, I’m saddened to report that Hot Doug’s is planning to close – permanently – on October 3, 2014.  When I read the news, I have to admit I teared up a little bit.  It was such a wonderful place – great food and great vibe – owned and run by the nicest guy, Doug.  I hope after he takes a well-deserved vacation and rests up that he will be tempted to start another delicious venture with equal success.

For anyone in or visiting Chicago before the closing date – go to Hot Doug’s!  It may be your last chance!
I will miss you Hot Doug’s (sniff).   R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment