Wednesday, May 21, 2014

a few helpful tips to endure a long flight…


The anticipation of a new trip is always exciting!  However, enduring a long plane ride in a cramped, uncomfortable seat while eating mediocre food (at best) is never appealing.  It’s not because I fear flying.  Rather, it’s the discomfort I feel on any flight lasting more than 4 hours – the dehydration, the claustrophobia, the bloating, the germs, etc.  It’s all made even worse by my inability to sleep more than 20 minutes at a time on any flight.   After years of flying, I've learned to do some things to make my flights more tolerable. 


1.     Entertainment –  Bring  any entertainment that makes the passage of time easier for you– e.g., read, listen to music, watch TV shows/movies, etc.  For me, this means bringing my ipad mini so I can read, listen to music or audiobooks, play solitaire, candy crush or scrabble, and/or watch movies.  Because I can’t sleep on international flights, there have been times I’ve been forced to watch all the available in-flight movies regardless of how dismal the choices may be.  (Yes, I'm embarrassed to admit that I watched High School Musical 3 not once, but twice on a 12-hour flight.)  Now, I’m wiser and download TV shows I want to binge watch.  (Dr. Who marathon - here I come!)  I also make sure I charge up everything and/or bring a portable charger.  Nothing is worse than your device running out of juice.  Nothing.

 
2.     Physical comfort – e.g.,  loose clothing, neck pillow, a light blanket/shawl, comfy socks and shoes, eye mask, etc. – This seems obvious but I often see people dressed in ridiculously tight outfits and uncomfortable shoes on flights and I cannot imagine why they would endure such torture.  The plane is not a fashion runway.  Be kind to yourself and be comfortable.   


I have a go-to travel outfit which is loose and comfy - light jacket, tank top, light sweatpants, socks and sneakers.  And because it’s always cold on the plane, I make sure that I bring a light shawl or blanket (since I don’t like the scratchy ones they give you on the plane).  I also bring a sleep mask which is light, cool and effectively blocks all light.  (I personally use the Sleep Master.)
 

3.     Noise cancelling headsets – For years I resisted buying a Bose headset because it was expensive (about $300-$400 depending on the model).    Then I finally caved and now I can't travel without it.  Peace and quiet.  No weird headaches.  Improved sound quality.  I am not a masochist and yet, why did I wait so long???  


My headset requires AAA batteries so I always bring some extras.  Again, nothing is worse then happily listening to a great song and having your headset fizzle out on you. 
 

4.     Germ Fighters – You are probably already aware that the plane is a germ-infested place.  Just thinking about it grosses me out a little.  That is why I always bring antibacterial wipes to clean my tray, seat and arm rests.  I also bring antibacterial hand gels to clean my hands.  You can also make your own germ fighter – just fill a small spray bottle with water and a few drops of tea tree oil.  It is a natural disinfectant, and as a bonus, you can also mist your face and keep acne at bay!


5.     Cold Fighters - I have been on too many flights sitting by a sick person hacking out their lungs or a screaming baby only to return home with a horrible cold.   Now I do all I can not to get sick.  I drink lots of water, take an immune booster (e.g., airborne, vitamin c, and other natural supplements), and wash my hands like a maniac (see above for "Germ Fighters").  For more extreme measures, I try not to sit by sick people, if possible (e.g., ask to change seats).  And if I'm sick, I try to be uber considerate and cough into a handkerchief and wipe everything down so I'm not actively spreading my germs to others.

 6.     Dehydration Fighters – Being on the plane is incredibly dehydrating especially on long international flights.  I can often feel my skin literally shriveling up and tightening.  I combat that with drinking lots of water, avoiding alcohol (sometimes), using copious amounts of hand lotion and lip balm, and misting my face with a moisturizing toner.  For super long flights, I will do a mini spa treatment and clean my face with a cleansing water or wipe and apply a sheet mask or overnight moisture mask.  Yes, I look funny but who really cares?

7.     Odor Fighters – Unfortunately I’ve had the unpleasant experience of being seated by people who have less than savory body odors, so now I take care to bring perfume or lavender spray whenever I fly.    I try to spray discreetly and I pick light, pleasant scents so (hopefully) it’s not annoying to other passengers.  If the unpleasant odor continues to overwhelm, I spray some perfume into my handkerchief or tissue and use that as a makeshift filter.  If this still does not work, pray that there are open seats and ask your flight attendant nicely if you can be relocated.  Added bonus: you can spray the bathroom too.

8.     Plastic Bags – I like keeping extra plastic bags in my purse or carry-on so I can throw away random trash without having to wait for the flight attendant to come around.  I also don’t want to tuck trash into the seat pocket since that’s a bit rude and I also don’t want to put my hand in there.

9.     Snacks and gum – I try not to eat too much junk food in my normal life, but on a plane all bets are off.  I consider it a gift to myself to be able to munch on pringles, snickers bars, etc. Sometimes, the healthy part of me kicks in and I’ll bring fruit or nuts.  Regardless, bring something on the plane that you consider a special edible treat.   Also, while I normally don't chew gum, it does help with the ear blockage during the descent of long flights.  Just chew away and experience the satisfactory experience of your ears popping as you land.

10.   Sleepaids – It hasn’t ever really worked for me, but I have seen friends who take over-the-counter sleeping pills, ambien, melatonin or other herbal supplements (e.g., No Jet Lag), etc., and sleep like babies on the plane, while I gaze upon them enviously.  So far nothing has really worked for me - over the counter pills, ambien, ambien with wine, ambien with whiskey  - nothing.  I am still hoping to find my panacea of sleep.  If anyone has suggestions, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment