Wednesday, May 28, 2014

restaurant review: connie & ted's

Connie and Ted's is literally my favorite seafood restaurant in Los Angeles right now.  It is brought to you by the same team as Providence - which is considered one of the best fine dining establishments in Los Angeles - but that is obviously a "special occasion" restaurant whereas Connie and Ted's is great anytime for whatever reason. 


I am partial to casual dining with amazing food, so this place fits the bill perfectly.  I am guessing they took over an old diner because the bones of the place suggests IHOP to me, but it has been modernized with repurposed wood and glass walls.  It's like a fancified and airy seafood shack.  The service is always impeccable and knowledgeable.  The food is always super fresh and simply, but expertly prepared.  In fact there hasn't been anything I haven't liked at this place (and I've probably tried everything on the menu except for the burgers).  In 2013, Connie and Ted's and Bestia were my favorite new restaurants, but I think as time has passed, my love for Connie and Ted's has only grown stronger.



I think what I find most amazing is that the seafood is so well cooked - which really means, it is never over cooked and is always simply seasoned so as to bring out the natural saltiness and sweetness in fresh seafood.  I can't stand eating rubbery clams or having the natural brininess of seafood masked with too much sauce and pizazz.  If you have good, fresh seafood there is no need for all of that.

My go-to favorites at Connie and Ted's (but again, nothing I've had has been bad) are:

- The Seafood Boil - omg! - a bowl of seafood heaven - lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, corn on the cob and baby potatoes swimming in a broth of yumminess.  I usually share this with my husband, but sometimes I really don't want to.  (Note: They only serve this at dinnertime.)
- Rhode Island Clam Chowder (clear broth) - they have three types of chowder (New England, Manhattan and Rhode Island).  They are all good but since I'm lactose intolerant, I tend to favor the Rhode Island which probably has butter, but no cream.  The extra bacon kick is awesome.  (Note: They have a sampler so you can try all three to determine which one is your favorite.)
- Steamers - Fat clams perfectly steamed in (I'm guessing) stock, white wine, onions and red chili flakes with 2 dipping sauces (butter & some herb concoction).... If I were a cow with multiple stomachs, I'd happily eat these all day!
- Stuffies - Linquica (which I'm guessing is some sort of clam) broiled with breadcrumbs, garlic and some sausage thingy.  Really yummy!
- Hot Buttered Rolls - it sucks to have to order bread as a side, but these are sooooo good and soooo buttery. 

Other great options include:  Any of the catch of the day, simply grilled with an herb crust (my husband loved this) or herb oil with lemon; the lobster roll (get the hot one, it's better); the fresh oysters, clams, and uni; and chilled shrimp, etc. etc.

It's best to go with a large group of people so you can try different things but remember to make reservations.  One time I was there with reservations I had made over 2 months in advance, this couple tried to 'squat' at our table with some sob story of how they forgot to make reservations the day before and asked if they could hover over our table while they ordered food.  Our waitress nixed that notion immediately.

But back to the food.  If you enjoy good seafood, you have to check out Connie and Ted's!  I might see you there since I can't get enough of this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment