Wednesday, June 1, 2016

favorite cheap eats in new orleans

(New Orleans, Louisiana).  I love visiting New Orleans, and after more than 5 trips, there are a few places that I keep going back to time after time for reliably delicious and reasonably priced food.  On a recent visit, the following places really stood out - many are old favorites, but there is one new gem worth a mention.
Mother's Crawfish Etouffe - before and after....

In no particular order:


Mother's Restaurant - I can't visit NOLA without stopping at Mother's at least once.  While it's famous for its ham and debris sandwiches, what really has won me over is the amazing crawfish etouffe.  I can literally bathe in this stuff.  It is simply the best I've ever had in my life.  I made the mistake of "sharing" with my husband - never again!  Next time I just want a big bowl of this stuff all to myself.

The lines can get crazy during normal meal times, which is why my usual practice is to come around 4pm (usually after I arrive from Los Angeles and immediately after checking into my hotel or airbnb) to avoid having to wait for my "snack".


Willie Mae's Scotch House - Another favorite place worth multiple visits is Willie Mae's - with its perfectly fried and juicy chicken and butter beans.  I don't believe they take reservations so I usually like to get there by 11:30am to beat the lunch crowds.  It's a pretty quick trip via uber or taxi from the French Quarter.  
 
Mmmmm - fried chicken... one of my favorite things in the world.
I normally like getting the fried chicken with butter beans and a side of green beans.  I'm not a huge fan of corn bread and I'd advise not taking up valuable stomach space for that - save your room for the main event!  
 
Butter beans and rice.
The Camellia Grill in the French Quarter - We came here on a fluke based on the recommendation of our taxi driver - who said it was the best breakfast in the Quarter - and boy, am I glad we did!  It is a traditional diner but the food and service are top notch.  Sometimes the waiters may even break into song, which is quite entertaining.
 
Watching all the action at Camellia Grill.

My particular favorites were the waffles - thin and crispy and utterly delightful - and the sausage poboy - spicy, rich and flavorful.  I find myself dreaming about this sandwich which means I will definitely be back!
 
Crispy waffle and extra crispy bacon.
 
Fabulous sausage poboy... absolutely delicious!
Verti Mart in the French Quarter - a seemingly nondescript little 24-hour market/deli with the most astonishing takeout menu.  While most people come for the sandwich with everything on it - what I love is the shrimp or the shrimp/oyster poboy.  Simple but delicious.
 
Shrimp & Oyster poboy -- fresh and simple and cheap!
 A local lady told me that I will have to try the mac n cheese which she said was the best in town, so I will definitely have to add that to my order next time.


It's not a fancy joint and there's no seating.  You basically squeeze into the little store, place your order at the deli in the back and wait for your order to be called before you pay at the register for the food and any beverages from the market coolers.  There are a couple of tables set up outside but I really prefer just ordering (or calling in an order) and taking the food for a picnic or back to the airbnb/hotel room to enjoy.  Everything I've had here is so good and cheap.  My shrimp/oyster poboy is $9.50 and it's huge!

As you can see if you read an old post about my favorite places in New Orleans 4 years ago (see here), not very much has changed in terms of my "favorites", but the list keeps growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment