Monday, June 27, 2016

the uber situation in colombia

Medellin.

Good news for travelers who want to use Uber in Colombia. You can do it!

For those unfamiliar with Uber, it is a ride sharing app that allows anyone to hail a car to get them from point A to point B. While there are plenty of arguments pro and against using Uber (such as the cheaper cost compare to a taxi or how drivers are not as well vetted as taxi drivers), there is no dispute that Uber has been very popular in a lot of communities.

Based on my trip earlier this year, I can report that Uber is available in Colombia.

In Medellin, I found an option for Uber English, which ensured that the driver spoke English. The option came with a bit of a premium (say a $4 ride vs $2) but, it was useful for me (I lack the local language skill) when I wanted to chat, get to know some people and get local recommendations.

Unfortunately, the Uber English option was unavailable in Cartagena and Bogota. That being said, I was still able to get from Point A to Point B with the non-English speaking Uber drivers so long as I had the destination inputted in the Uber App.

Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment