Wednesday, December 3, 2014

apps that i used while traveling in italy

On my recent trip to Italy, I brought my iphone and ipad mini.  Under T-Mobile's global coverage I was able to use my phone while in Italy (see my review here) for phone calls and texts and to check emails and go online.  I was also able to use it as a hotspot for my ipad mini when the connections were slow at some of the hotels.

I researched a few apps online and decided to go with the following for my trip (some of which do not require Wi-Fi).  How did they fare?


Map app (that came on the iphone) and Google Map app (free on iphone and ipad mini) - The default map app on my iphone was actually more user-friendly in Italy than Google Maps, except in Capri.  Oddly enough, neither map app worked for Siena.  Generally I was able to punch in the address or tourist attraction and get walking and/or driving directions.  I would say 95% of the time the directions were quite accurate - even in the narrow streets of Venice!

Maps2go ($2.99 on my ipad mini; does not require Wi-Fi) - I got this because I was concerned about not having a good map when I didn't have Wi-Fi or if my T-Mobile coverage wasn't reliable.  However, because my T-Mobile coverage was pretty reliable, I never really had to use this at all.  Alternatively, it was easier just to use a paper map (usually provided by the hotel concierge).

Rick Steves Guides (free on my ipad mini; does not require Wi-Fi) - (various walking tours in Rome, Florence, Pompeii) - I'm so thrilled we got the guides!  They were especially useful for Pompeii, the Uffizi Gallery and small walking tours in Rome and Florence.  I would definitely recommend using these especially if you don't enjoy following a tour guide around.

Currency Converter (free on my iphone) -This was helpful when shopping.  There are so many free options that I suspect any one of them will be as good as the other if you want simple conversions.

iTranslate (free on my iphone) - This did NOT work well at all.  It was super slow and/or inaccurate.  Such a shame.

Brian Wave ($2.99 on my iphone) - This allegedly tricks your brain using sound waves into relaxing so you can "power nap" or have "dream sleep", etc.  I've used this a few times at home already and while it hasn't really been successful in making me sleep (which was what I was hoping for), it does seem to help me relax. I used this on the flight and was able to get an hour of deep sleep which isn't bad (for me) and I used it during the first few nights in Italy to help my body adjust to the time difference.

Weather (free on my iphone) - It's always useful to know the local weather especially if there might be rain.  It was pretty accurate.

Candy Crush (free on my iphone and ipad mini) -  I play this all the time so it's not only for travel, but it's nice to have something to distract you when you are waiting in lines, etc.

Solitaire (free on my iphone) -  ditto.

I also downloaded a few audio books on my ipad mini (prices varied from $9.99 to $15.99).

How did I ever manage without a smart phone or tablet?  Craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment