Monday, December 1, 2014

top 10 tips for hiking the milford track

View from Mackinnon Pass.
Someone once said that the Milford Track is the finest walk in the world. I don't know whether that is true or not, but I certainly enjoyed it. There are two ways to hike (or as the Kiwis call it, tramp) the Milford Track. The first is to do it independently, where you carry your own food and stay in shared accommodations with others. The second is to walk with a guide and stay in nice lodges with hot food and nice bottles of wine after the end of a long day. I have no specific tips for independent walkers because I did a guided tour with Ultimate Hikes, currently the only outfit that provides guided walks in the Milford Track. But, I have tips applicable to anyone hiking it.


1.  Bring DEET.

     Some people have objections to DEET because of the chemical contents. But, let me tell you about sandflies. They are everywhere along the Milford Track. They are worse than mosquitoes and they are vicious. They bit my face, my fingers, my arms, and my legs. They even bit me in my nether regions when I went to pee. Even though there are no real predators in New Zealand, I nominate sandflies to this category. My natural insect repellent was useless to these blood suckers. It was not until a fellow hiker who shared his DEET-filled insect repellent did I get respite from the bites. 

View from Mackinnon Pass.


2.  Waterproof everything.

     That part of New Zealand is one of the wettest area in the country. So, make sure your shoes, pants and shirts are waterproof. Or, at least, make sure they dry quickly. And, make sure you have a waterproof cover for your backpack so the contents stay dry (you can rent a backpack from Ultimate Hikes if you do the guided walk).

     I recommend packing your extra clothes and first aid kit in ziploc bags so that they will stay dry even if your backpack gets drenched. Before you seal the bags, squeeze the air out of them first so they don't take up space in your backpack.

The trail.

3.  Make sure you have comfortable shoes.

     While the trail is well-maintained, there are still parts of the trail that are pretty rocky (there will be a part where you walk through a rock slide area and through moraine). So, you want to make sure you have good solid shoes. I wore Salomon trail running shoes and found them comfortable with adequate support.

Moraine.

4.  Bring lambs wool.

     Despite wearing comfortable shoes, you may still find a blister pop up every so often. I recommend using lamb's wool during your hike to prevent those painful blisters. I think lamb's wool are better than moleskin. They mold to your feet and soak up moisture really well. Most walking stores in New Zealand sell them.

Mercurial weather along the track.

5.  Pack light. 

     Whether or not you do an independent walk or a guided hike, you will have to carry your own belongings. So, I suggest to just carry one change of clothing (to wear after the hike while lounging around in the lodge for guided hikes or the huts for independent walkers) and do laundry (of your hiking clothes) at night. For the guided hike, there are drying facilities to ensure that your hiking clothes are dry for the following day's walk. If you don't care about carrying a heavy load on your back all day, then carry as much clothes as you can carry.

Part of the trail.

6.  Don't bring a water filter.

     As of this writing, you won't need it and it will only add unnecessary weight to your pack. The streams and falls are so clean you can drink right off of them. Just make sure there are no animals above you or upstream. You may not want to drink what they have excreted.

Clear streams and falls.

7.  Take side trips.

     The trail is well-signposted. And, you'll see signs identifying short walks off the main trail. Go and check out every single one. They're totally worth it. 

A side trip to check out wetlands.

8.  Protect your knees.

     While most of the trail is relatively flat, part of Milford Track requires going up and down Mackinnon Pass. I recommend two walking poles to help support your knees.

Wildlife along the track.

9.  Take a lot of pictures. 

     I took a lot of pictures and I wish I took more. It is just absolutely beautiful.

Lunch with a view (of the Milford Track from Mackinnon Pass).

10.  Take your trash with you.

     Please don't mar the beauty of the trail. Take your trash with you. 

End of the trail.

If you've hiked the Milford Track, please share your experience below. If you plan to hike it, please let us know if any of the tips above worked for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment