Friday, December 19, 2014

must love uni! review of maruhide


(Torrance, CA).  A restaurant that specializes in uni?  For a lover of the soft pillows of orange creaminess that is uni (or sea urchin) like me - that is music to my ears.  For those who find uni utterly disgusting and slimy, it is probably pretty horrific.

Uni is one of those rare things that people either really love or detest.  I used to think people who didn't like it simply didn't have an opportunity to have truly fresh uni; but after years of trying to convert people with divinely briny and sweet uni, I realized that many people are so turned off by the texture and look of uni that it really didn't matter to them how it tasted.  (So unfortunate ... but I guess that's more uni for me!)

The point of this rambling?  If you don't enjoy uni, stay away from Maruhide.  There really is very little for you to eat since almost every single dish - rice, pasta, salad, etc., has uni in it.


However if you love uni (or are feeling adventurous and want to try it), you'll enjoy this place for it's wonderfully fresh uni and sashimi.  There is a nice selection of rice bowls with uni and other seafood.  I ordered the Uni Club Don (#7) which includes uni, tuna, yellowtail, scallops, squid, fish roe, tamago, and ginger on a mound of rice.  So delicious!  

The rice bowl came with a sad little salad and uni soup (very bland) - which I wouldn't really bother with since you'll want to save your room for the main attraction.

The uni croquettes were also quite delicious and better than the uni pastas which are ok, but not memorable.  Son of a Gun and EMC both do better versions of uni pastas.

They also have a nice array of sakes, but the servers weren't really able to help recommend any so it's a bit of a crapshoot.  I had a glass of the "Jun" and that was nice and dry.

I would definitely come back with my uni-loving friends because it was a bit sad watching my non-uni-loving friends trying to find something on the menu to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment