Wednesday, January 14, 2015

restaurant review: chi spacca


(Los Angeles, CA).  The very first time I tried Chi SPACCA, I was only with one other person so we were unable to try the enormous slabs of beef whose amazing aromas mocked us throughout our meal.  Don't get me wrong - our Tomahawk Porkchop (42 ounces) and the vegetable sides we got were delicious, but I had my eye on the prize(s) - the steak and the beef and bone marrow pie - but they were simply too big for a table of 2.

I was determined to return with a larger group of people.  I decided 6 was the perfect number so I invited 2 other couples (who love meat) to join us and we tried the restaurant again!

How was it?


Absolutely Amazing!!!


The restaurant is rather small and cozy with an open kitchen so you can witness the chefs grilling the gorgeous meats.  The service is knowledgeable and friendly - and despite the high standards in food, the ambiance is rather casual.




We ordered the following:

- a selection of charcuterie which they cure themselves - each delicious
- the focaccia di reco - basically a delicious flat bread with olive oil, herbs and creamy cheese - soooo good!  a must have!
- pickles - which was a nice respite from all the meats and creamy foods
- costata alla fiorentina - bone in new york - absolutely divine; perfectly cooked (red center) and perfectly seasoned
- beef and bone marrow pie - very heavy and rich but the flavors are so intense.  I would recommend sharing with lots of people as more of an appetizer, instead of tackling it as an entree (but call dibs on the bone because it's worth it!).  Also, the pie comes with the most buttery mashed potatoes so you don't need to order it separately.
- roasted cauliflower - nicely caramelized
- they also gave us a complimentary lardo spread - very decadent but surprisingly mild but pleasant on bread


I think we had desserts but after the wonderful haze of food and wine, I can't really remember what we had...

Anyways - I can't wait to come back (with the right amount of people who are not vegetarians)! 


It's an expensive place, but a wonderful special occasion restaurant.  Check it out and let me know what dishes you enjoyed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment