Wednesday, January 21, 2015

hotel review: l'hermitage hotel in vancouver

The front of the hotel with funny fat cupid face.
(Vancouver, Canada).  During a recent trip to Vancouver - my very first to Canada (yay!) - I had the pleasure of staying at the L'Hermitage Hotel in downtown Vancouver.   I had researched a fair bit on tripadvisor and booking.com and other sites, and decided on this boutique hotel because of the rave reviews and the central location.  (I also considered the St. Regis and the Fairmont Waterfront but they were a bit more expensive even with off-season rates.  Coincidentally my workplace booked me into the Fairmont Waterfront after my personal trip in Vancouver so I will be reviewing that hotel in the near future.)

This will obviously be a good review, but what did I especially like about L'Hermitage?

Actually everything was pretty fantastic but here's the breakdown:

The Service!  The service here was truly remarkable and attentive.  When we arrived, the front desk clerk was helping another guest so the concierge helped to check us in.  Our room was not yet ready since we arrived super early, so they gave us a lunch recommendation and offered to expedite our room and call us when the room was ready.  I cannot tell you how many times a hotel has promised the same and not delivered, and thus I was prepared to be disappointed.  So it was indeed a delightful surprise to receive a call while eating lunch, that our room was ready.  They even delivered our luggage to the room without us having to check with the bellhop.

We also noticed there was a lot of construction across the street and had specifically requested a room away from the noise.  The room we got was probably an upgrade, but it was located right next to the pool and jacuzzi and completely sheltered from the noise outside.  
I wish I had my swimsuit!

Then throughout our time at the hotel, we were greeted by all the staff by our names.  They assisted with us happily with reservations, taxis, requests for ice, etc. etc.  Everything was done promptly and with a smile.  It's nice to stay at a place with great service level standards.

Oh, and there's turn down service with chocolates!  Yum!



The Location!  As a first-timer to Vancouver, I'm glad that I stayed here.  This hotel is so centrally located in downtown Vancouver and had easy access to many of the tourist attractions and the subway.  We were able to walk to Gastown and Chinatown (about 5-10 min. walk), Yaletown (about 10-15 min. walk), the Waterfront and Lookout Tower (about a 10 min. walk) and even to Stanley Park (which was a bit further - maybe 25 min. walk).  
Yes Medina - I agree!

There were lots of restaurants and eateries nearby that ranged from super casual to high-end.   Right next door there is Medinas - which looked like an awesome brunch place but unfortunately I couldn't squeeze in a meal there.  There were lines daily and our local friend told us it was amazing (so poo on me for not trying it).  Then just nearby there is Japadog, Tim Horton's, Five Guys, and a ton of other places to eat.  The hotel had recommended Shu Raku and it was lovely - great lunch special with ribs, sashimi, salad, etc.  I'll do a review of that soon.

The Lounge Area (L'Orangerie)!  On the fifth floor, there is a lounge which has many cozy sitting areas, several large TVs and a place to enjoy a breakfast buffet or afternoon/evening wine and snacks.  The ambience is very comfortable and the breakfast buffet is surprisingly tasty.  
 
On the other side, there are a bunch of couches, armchairs and TVs.

Ahhh - morning coffee.
The Room!  The room was not very big but comfortable with a modern, understated design.  We had a nice patio adjacent to the pool area but since it was freezing we didn't get to use it much.  There was the requisite safe - well-sized, dryer, and a nifty Keurig style coffeemaker that made excellent coffee (nice touch!).  

The bed was a bit soft for my taste but the fluffy pillows made up for it.  The TV was a little on the small side but we were so enraptured with listening to the Serial podcasts that it didn't bother us that much.
 
Our room!


 
Little patio surrounded by shrubs.

The bathroom was also nice and modern.  Shower had good water pressure.  Toiletries were fine, but not amazing.
 
Nice bathroom.




The Food!  I enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the lounge (19.50 CAD) and it was delicious!  Oftentimes these buffets can be a bit sad and forlorn, but here, while the choices were basic, the execution was superb.  Fluffy scrambled eggs with chives; crispy bits of maple bacon; robust pork sausages; fresh fruits, yogurt, wonderfully flakey croissants and pastries, etc. etc.  
 
mmmmm

I happily devoured my breakfast while watching youtube videos near the fireplace after a nice work out.
My view at breakfast.

I also ordered room service - which was about the same price (20 CAD) and the food was still good, but the quality was a bit better in the lounge (and you have more variety there).

Yes, I'm boring and I like the same breakfast ...

The Gym, Steam Room, Pool/Jacuzzi!  I only managed to work out once but the gym is acceptable with the typical equipment - treadmills, ellipticals, some weights... They do provide towels and water there which is helpful.

There are male and female steam rooms which seemed nice but I didn't get a chance to try them.

The pool and jacuzzi are open all-year round and is kept warm - but I didn't see anyone brazen enough to brave the January cold and use the pool.  I was tempted to jump into the jacuzzi with steaming rising out of it but alas I didn't think to pack a swimsuit in January.

Conclusion - I really enjoyed my stay here and would happily recommend this to any tourist to Vancouver - especially for first time visitors.  I liked being on the 5th floor which had the lounge, the gym, steam rooms and pool.  


For business, you may want to stay in the financial district near the waterfront since that is where the convention center and large skyscrapers are.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review about the hotel in Vancouver it sounds like you had a great stay there. The hotel looks lovely in your photos and is definitely somewhere I would consider staying. I like the idea that it is in a central location making everything very accessible. It also sounds like good value for money.

    Danielle Richardson @ The Hoste

    ReplyDelete