Thursday, November 6, 2014

where to drink in new orleans

Other than eating in New Orleans, the other activity I enjoy whenever I visit is imbibing. It seems to me that the city is made for it. I mean that they are so serious about drinking that their elected officials wrote a bill designating the Sazerac as the city's official drink, debated it, voted on it, and passed it. 

Also, New Orleans is one of very few American cities that allow people to legally walk around with a cup of alcohol. So, if you haven't finished a drink, you can ask your bartender for a "go" cup, pour your beer or cocktail or whatever alcoholic libation into it, and stroll outside with drink on hand.

That being said, it is not surprising that there are plenty of drinking establishments in this city. I recommend a visit to the following bars (not in any particular order):


1.  Bellocq at the Hotel Modern - They make classic cocktails well, but they also specialize in cobblers, which perfectly quench the thirst during the hot and humid summer months. It is also named after a photographer and one of his photos is displayed on the ceiling.
A cobbler at Bellocq.
2.  Cane and Table - They make well made cocktails and they specialize in proto-tiki drinks (pre-cursors to tiki bar drinks). I found them interesting (in a good way) and tasty.
Cane and Table's take on a Gimlet (not a proto-tiki drink).
3.  Kingfish - Chris McMillian, bartender extraordinaire, helms the bar, and I believe he makes the best Sazerac. I also think he knows more about cocktail history than anyone I know. If he is tending the bar, ask him if he could make you a Sazerac Royale, which he created. It's a bubblier version of the Sazerac.

4.  Tujaques - I have really enjoyed the atmosphere at this bar. It is a stand-up bar, which is reminiscent of the old days. Plus, the mirror behind the bar is older than the United States!
Tujague's.
5.  Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone - The bar itself seats 25 and makes a complete revolution in 15 minutes. It's fun. If the bar is too crowded, there are plenty of stationary tables and seats.

6.  French 75 - The drinks are superb and the bar has that great old-school feel.

7. Sazerac Bar at the Roosevelt Hotel - Oddly enough, I don't like to drink Sazeracs there. Instead, I like to order the Ramos Gin Fizz there, which is where the drink became really popular.

8. Pat O'Brien's - I used to frequent this spot last decade and I have plenty of fond memories of great times there. Although I haven't been back after I went over the hill, and is thus, technically no longer a "favorite," a younger version of me would still consider it as such. Plus, the Hurricane drink was invented there.

If you have visited any of these places, please let me know what you thought of their drinks.

Where is your watering hole when in New Orleans?

No comments:

Post a Comment