Friday, November 21, 2014

happy hour at bp oysterette (on 3rd street)

(Los Angeles, CA).  There are few things I like better than a good happy hour.  Not only should the prices be good, but the quality of the drinks and food have to remain high and consistent, and the vibe of the joint has to be fun and welcoming.  So when a friend told me that a local restaurant had $1 Oysters at their happy hour, I had to give it a try!

BP Oysterette is a seafood joint and I had previously eaten at the Santa Monica location and it was good but wasn't great enough for me to revisit.  However, I was happy that they opened a sister restaurant near 3rd and Fairfax, especially with a special happy hour menu (see below).



3pm to 6pm is an odd time for happy hour... I guess there are lots of people in this neighborhood who don't have normal office jobs because I would find it difficult for most people to get out of work by 5 or 6.  But if you can, this happy hour is worth checking out.  While it isn't uber cheap - you do get good food for a decent price.  But note the lobster roll for happy hour is only half a lobster roll (which is a little disappointing) but you do get lots of lobster.

So generally, how were the happy hour food and drinks?

- Sangria - my friends really enjoyed the Sangria; made with white wine and citrusy fruits. 
- Wines - 2 choices of house wines - Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir.  OK for happy hour wines but not amazing.
- Oysters - fresh and even better at $1 a pop!
- Lobster roll - tasty, but remember you only get a half.  But there are some tasty french fries that come with the roll.
- Calamari - ok, but nothing special.
- Fish tacos - these were quite nice; grilled fish.

We also ordered a key lime pie that was quite amazing - and I am NOT a key lime fame.  Not crazy tart or sweet - in fact it was a very well balanced key lime pie in a delicious graham cracker crust.


BP Oysterette was quite enjoyable for happy hour.  But is it better than emc seafood in my opinion?  I would have to say no.  I did think the oysters were tastier at emc and remember they have 2 happy hours a night so you have more opportunities to get your oyster fix on!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment