Monday, October 27, 2014

restaurant review: miller union in atlanta

The last time Mr. Sazy Rock and I visited Atlanta, Georgia in 2011, we dined at a new-ish restaurant called Miller Union. I enjoyed my meal then. So, on a recent trip back to Atlanta, I was pleased to dine there again.
The decor at Miller Union.
The Scene 

In 2011, our dinner reservation was at 7:30 pm. I remembered it as a buzzy place with a good cocktail program. 

This time around, Mr. SR and I dined with friends to talk shop. With a 5:30 pm dinner reservation, we had the restaurant all to ourselves. I like not having to strain my ears to hear my dining companions so I had no problem with an empty restaurant. I should note that patrons started to arrive around 6:30 pm.  

The Food 

I started off the (early) evening with a cocktail: a sazerac. It was a bit on the sweet side. When the food came, I switched to a glass of red wine.
Sazerac.
We shared all the starters and mains we ordered:

Farm egg baked in celery cream - This very simple dish was the star of the show. The egg was poached in the hot cream so it was perfectly cooked. It was a very rich dish. And, it was so delicious I ordered it again... for dessert.
Farm egg baked in celery cream.

Field pea hummus - The hummus had the same consistency as the garbanzo kind but made of field peas. 
Field pea hummus.

Field peas, peanuts, tomatoes, peppers, ricotta and mint - This colorful appetizer tasted very fresh. It also had a variety of texture from crunchy to soft cream. This was one of Mr. SR's favorite dish of the evening.
Field peas, peanuts, tomatoes, peppers, ricotta and mint.

Shrimp & grits - The GM told us that the chef is from the low country so shrimp and grits had to be on the menu. I am glad because it was delicious. The grits were creamy and the shrimp had a nice snap when I bit into it.
Shrimp and grits.

Pork chop - Unfortunately, although I love the swine, this dish was my least favorite. It was a tad bit overcooked so the meat was somewhat tough. 
Pork chop.

Quail - I enjoyed this dish. The meat was juicy and the skin was crisp. It was also perfectly seasoned. 
Quail.

Braised Rabbit and Rabbit Porchetta - I think that the chef used the loin for the braised rabbit and the bit I tasted was full of flavor. 
Rabbit porchetta and braised rabbit.

Duck Breast - The duck was succulent and the sauce had a nice balance of sweet and sour.
Duck breast.

The vegetable platter (Creamed Spaghetti Squash, Hakurei Turnips, Rye Berries and Watercress, and Sauteed Greens) - All the sides were delicious and fairly straightforward. This was the first time I have tried rye berries and I liked it. It looked like a grain and a bit like farro. 
Vegetable platter (turnip, greens, rye berries and spaghetti squash).

The Service 

I found the service friendly and efficient starting with the valet parking attendant, to the servers and to the General Manager, who was very hospitable. He and Mr. SR bonded over football (soccer) and some teams that are nowhere near the English Premier League. The servers provided helpful suggestions and descriptions of the food.

The Price 

Per couple, we paid about $130, including a cocktail and a couple glasses of wine, plus tip. For the level of food and service we received, I thought the meal was fairly priced.

How To Get A Table 

Our friends booked a table at Miller Union via OpenTable the day before we dined. You may also call to make reservations at (678) 733-8550.

The Verdict 

I am pleased that my meal in 2014 was just as enjoyable as the meal I had in 2011. Sure, there were some minor flaws. But, those small flaws did not overshadow the tastiness of most of the dishes and the excellent service. I am glad to have returned and look forward to dining there again when I next visit Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment