Wednesday, October 22, 2014

martinikitty's gelato favorites and (unfavorites) in italy





(Italy).  Gelato (or Italian ice cream) is one of the most popular food experiences for most tourists visiting Italy.  And no, it isn't simply ice cream with different, exotic flavors.  Gelato is indisputably denser and creamier and better.  The flavors are amazingly vibrant and rich.   I'm not sure why gelato always tastes better in Italy than anywhere else, but it simply does.

I've been to Italy three times and have eaten lots and lots of gelato.  I'm by no means a connoisseur but based on my personal experience, I've listed a few of my favorites (and unfavorites), along with an additional list of places I still wish to try.  Let me know what your favorite gelato place is!


Favorite Gelato Places

  1. San Crispino in Rome - (I go to the one near the Trevi Fountain; there's another location near the Pantheon).  This gelato is often featured in guidebooks and many people consider it overpriced and touristy, but it is still my favorite!  This was the first gelato place I ever went to in Italy and they carry honey flavored gelato, which is difficult to find.  Whenever I go back to Rome, San Crispino is one of my first stops and it has never disappointed.  Lots of interesting flavors and they are all divine.  My favorite combination is honey and melon.  Mmmmm......
  2. Cremeria Funivia in Bologna - (I went to the one in Piazza Cavour).  This very modern, gourmet gelato shop serves delicious gelatos and granitas and gorgeously tempting gelato
    cakes.  The service is also exceptionally friendly and helpful.  I had a mix of melon (super rich and flavorful) and a dark chocolate ganache that was simply amazing.  A definite stop in Bologna for anyone who likes gelato!  In fact, I made myself leave the hotel room after an exhausting day of siteseeing in order to hunt down this place and try some of their gelato - and I was so glad I did despite my aching feet.
  3. Perche No! in Florence - (Via dei Tavolini)  I discovered Perche No on a food tour of Florence years ago.  The store was actually closed but they let our food tour of 3 people in (basically my mom, me and our guide) to taste all their flavors.  I think we tried 20 flavors before we had to beg them to stop!  They are supporters of the slow food movement and the flavors were astonishingly fresh.  I particularly liked their pistachio and fruit flavors.
  4.  Venchi in Florence - (at the Piazza del Mercato Nuovo) - A chocolate lover's paradise.  This gourmet chocolate shop offers delectable chocolates, pastries and gelato.  The chocolatey and hazelnut- type flavors were definitely the highlights for me.  Everything was super creamy. 
  5. White in Venice - (San Polo 480 Ruga Del Raveno) - This may seem like an odd choice since it's a relatively new, self-service gelateria.  I was concerned that the quality wouldn't be as good, but I didn't have anything to worry about.  They offer more basic type flavors with a variety of choice toppings and accompaniments so let your imagination run wild.  I loved my classic creation of vanilla with brandied cherries and crispy wafers.  

Unfavorites (in no particular order)

  • Giolitti in Rome (near Pantheon) - very disappointing.  I'm not sure why it's so famous and popular - the service is mediocre and the gelato was icy.  So sad.
  • Davide Gelato in Sorrento - also quite disappointing.  Again the texture and flavors were a bit lacking.  In Sorrento, the granitas were definitely better.
Some Other Places I'm Waiting to Try!
  • Gelateria Santa Trinita in Florence
  • Gelateria dei Gracchi in Rome
  • Gelato del Neri in Florence
  • Gelateria Brivido in Siena
  • Cremeria Monteforte in Rome

No comments:

Post a Comment