Thursday, October 16, 2014

getting to know the usa: philadelphia, pennsylvania

The Liberty Bell and
Independence Hall in the background.
There were so many wonderful things I did in the process of getting to know Philly. I learned a ton of history (it was a former capital of the US, after all), gawked at plenty of amazing art, and gorged on a lot of delicious food. I really enjoyed this city and can't sing enough of its praises. In fact, other than the brutal winters, I'd consider moving there.

History

First, I tried to get to know Philly through its history. For me, this meant a visit to Independence Hall (a nominal fee to go in certain places but free to roam the grounds and other places). It gave me chills to walk (so to speak) in the footsteps of the founding fathers of the USA. George Washington, James Madison, Ben Franklin, Charles Pinckney (whose paintings I saw when I was getting to know Charleston), and so many more prominent figures in American history hung out there. And, these founders signed the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution there. As an attorney, I nerded out knowing that many legal protections in the US and copied by other countries had their roots in a document (i.e., the US Constitution) written, debated and signed in that area. 

The Declaration of Independence.

A plaque memorializing where President Abraham Lincoln once stood just outside Independence Hall also gave me an overwhelming sense of patriotism. 

The Liberty Bell (free to visit) across the street was also a cool place to visit. The fact that it was not really rung to declare the US' independence from Britain was irrelevant. I mean, it was the Liberty Bell! I got up close (but not personal) and saw that crack. Ironically, the Liberty Bell was made in England. 
Walking in Honest Abe's footsteps.

Bottom line, visiting Philly and its historic area brought out so much pride to the American in me. Just knowing that the founding fathers stood for what they believed in and went up against the great British Empire went beyond a David and Goliath story. It was simply awe inspiring. Getting to know Philly was not just getting to know the city but also getting to know an important part of American history.

Art

Second, I tried to get to know Philly's art scene. A few years ago, I watched a movie called, "The Art of the Steal." It was a documentary about how some art people allegedly plotted to move the Barnes Foundation art collection from the Lower Merion Township, a suburb of Philly, to downtown Philadelphia against the wishes of the collector, Albert Barnes. When he died, the powers that be in the Philly art world allegedly eroded his trust document, which required that his collection not be moved to Philly. To cut a long story short, the collection is now in downtown Philly.  It's a very good movie. And, because of it, I was conflicted about visiting the Barnes. But, my desire to see the artwork in person pushed me over the line and so I dragged the husband to visit it with me. Barnes' private collection included many works by Cezanne, Matisse, Renoir, Van Gogh, Picasso, etc., and they were displayed alongside furniture, textile, ceramics, etc. from around the world. In doing so, the paintings looked very much "at home" as opposed to a sterile museum piece. Anyway, the collection was absolutely exceptional! I loved it although I am still torn about how the powers that be did not follow Barnes' wish to keep his art away from downtown Philly.


Because I am a woman of the age that still remembers the Rocky movie, I "had to" run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It was a good way to exercise. Plus, it provided a good view of the city. 
View from the Philadelphia Museum of Art (the Rocky steps).


In addition to the Barnes and the Museum of Art, Philly has plenty other museums to occupy any art lover for days. I did not get the chance, unfortunately, to get to know them all. But, this much I know. The Barnes alone is worth a visit to this city of brotherly love.

Food

Finally, I tried to get to know Philly through its food. And boy, there was a lot of food. Mr. SR had been to Philly many times and he was more than happy to take me on a food tour.
Pat's Cheesesteak wit Whiz.
Geno's Cheesesteak.

I insisted that I had to devour as many Philly Cheesesteaks from as many different places that my stomach could endure. Of course, we had to visit the famous (albeit touristy) Pat's and Geno's. These competing places located across the street from each other were okay, although I thought Geno's had the slight edge. But, I thought the cheesesteaks from Tony Luke's and George's (in the Italian Market) were a cut above the rest. I thought the quality of the bread and the meat were just better.
Tony Luke's Cheesesteak.
Half of a George's Cheesesteak.

In addition to cheesesteaks, Mr. SR also took me to places that served Roast Pork sandwiches, such as at John's Roast Pork, and Hoagies, such as Paesano's. To be honest, they were good but a woman can only eat so much sandwiches in one day. Oh yeah, did I say that the Philly Cheesesteak/Roast Pork/Hoagie extravaganza happened in one day?
John's Roast Pork.
Paesano's Hoagie.

Philly also has plenty of eating areas. The Reading Terminal Market's numerous food stalls created a very pleasing aroma once I entered. The Italian Market's lively and hectic pace was fun to see (plus George's was there and it bears repeating that the cheesesteak there was just delicious). And, the bars in the South Street area were great for wetting the whistle and resting tired feet.
Italian Market.

Philly also has plenty of higher end dining. Jose Garces has plenty of restaurants around the area and they served delicious food. But, I really enjoyed a meal at Vetri's, a ridiculously good pasta place. I have no serviceable pictures of the food I ate but the quality of the pasta, which were all made in-house, was very high.

I left Philly with 10 extra pounds. But, I also left feeling like I have only gotten to know the tip of the iceberg. There's so much more I want to get to know about this city. And, I would love to get to know it even more.

Have you visited Philadelphia? If so, what did you enjoy about the city?

Other posts in my "Getting to Know the USA" series, include Kansas CityCharlestonGreenville, and Idaho Falls.


No comments:

Post a Comment