Monday, September 8, 2014

getting to know the usa: idaho falls, idaho

Idaho Falls.

I must admit that I only spent a mere 24 hours in this fair city while Mr. Sazy Rock and I embarked on a business roadtrip, which we hashtagged on the interwebs as #GiveUsABedICookYouDinner or #GiveUsABedIMakeYouDinner (where strangers offered us a bed and he cooked for them in return - yes, it's like Couchsurfing but the hosts were found via Twitter or Facebook and Mr. SR cooked at least a three-course meal for our hosts). Idaho Falls was a non-cooking stop and a way for us to rest between locations. I’d like to say I got to know Idaho Falls really well but I’d be lying. Although, the little I got to know of the town was very enjoyable, and I am keen to share what I learned with you all.

The Falls

Unsurprisingly, the town of Idaho Falls actually had waterfalls that were created as part of a diversion dam for a hydroelectric project in the Snake River. A paved walking path along the river had picturesque views of the falls and other points of interest, such as information about World War II prisoners in the area, the first Mormon church in Idaho, an island in the middle of the river, etc. 
The falls as part of a hydroelectric project.

The Snake River with the first Mormon temple in Idaho in the background.
Mr. Sazy Rock and I enjoyed our stroll along the path because it gave us the opportunity to not only see the sights but to also watch locals enjoy a lazy summer afternoon. Some of them even tried to beat the heat by showing off their acrobatic skills when swimming in the river.
The dog days of Summer in Idaho Falls.

“It Ain’t My First Rodeo”

While I enjoyed the town, for me, the most interesting and fascinating thing about Idaho Falls, however, was that they hosted Idaho’s oldest rodeo, the War Bonnet Roundup. No one can blame me for jumping at the opportunity to go – after all, it was my first rodeo! 
Beautiful horses.
The rodeo was held at Sandy Downs. It was a little bit away from town and the views of mountain ranges in the distance were gorgeous as the sun set. Concessionaires sold hotdogs, nachos, funnel cakes, etc. It got a bit chilly when the sun set so I was pleased to have brought a light jacket.

We attended the pre-rodeo, which I recommend you check out. This event was geared towards children. And, there was nothing cuter than a five (or so) year old child dressed in full cowboy/cowgirl outfit (but wearing a helmet for protection) ride a sheep in an event called, “Mutton Buster.” In this event, the little cowboy/cowgirl hung on to the sheep as it was released from the pen. The child that held on to the sheep the longest won. 
Pre-rodeo event called, the Mutton Buster.

Another event was having ten year olds, who, inevitably, were all dressed in cowboy/cowgirl outfits, chase after a calf to remove flags on its body. Just imagine a Benny Hill skit but with little kids running after a calf.
Pre-rodeo event of chasing a calf.

The pre-rodeo event engaged the whole family. Don’t worry, no child or animal appeared to have been harmed. 

The main event was a lot more athletic. All the events, such as, Steer Wrestling or Team Roping or Bull Riding, etc. appeared to showcase and evoke frontier-style Americana. I could only imagine that the skills required in these events were necessary in herding cattle, taming wild animals, and the like.  
Rodeo events.

I watched in awe while cowboys tried to stay on a bucking stallion or bull.  
Bareback Riding.
Saddle Bronc Riding.
I admired cowgirls race around barrels at top speed, which, incidentally, they did faster while riding a horse than a dude did on a motorcycle. 

Steer Wrestling.
Tie Down Roping.
The rodeo was an altogether different experience from all of my travels. And, now I can truthfully tell people, “this ain’t my first rodeo.” 
Bull Riding.

Hopefully, you will also get the chance to get to know Idaho Falls' waterfalls and the State of Idaho's oldest rodeo. I definitely enjoyed my opportunity to do so.

In case you were wondering why a lot of people at the rodeo were wearing pink, it was because the event was also a way to raise awareness for breast cancer. Cowboys and cowgirls look good in pink, don't they?

Have you visited Idaho Falls? If so, what did you enjoy about it?
Have you been to a rodeo? If so, what did you think?

Other posts in my "Getting to Know the USA" series, include Kansas CityCharleston, and Greenville.

No comments:

Post a Comment