Thursday, September 4, 2014

hotel review: i portici hotel



(Bologna, Italy).  I had never been to Bologna but I kept hearing it was the food capitol of Italy, so as someone who loves to eat, I had to come.  I had originally wanted to book at the Hotel Metropolitan which was recommended by numerous travel guides and articles, but it was booked solid over 8 months in advance!  Can you believe it???  

Alas, I had to go with my second choice - I Portici Hotel.  Based on the photos, it seems very modern and almost sterile, but I was ultimately swayed by the fact that its restaurant (Ristorante I Portici) had a Michelin star and was mentioned in many glowing food reviews. 

We booked a Standard Double Room which includes free High-Speed Internet but did not include breakfast and parking.  I attempted to get reservations at the restaurant months in advance, but after several miscommunications, they finally clarified that I could only get reservations 10 days in advance.  Because I'm an anal person, I marked it on my calendar and sent in my request exactly 10 days in advance and got a reservation for our first night at the hotel.

So, what was our experience like?


Check-in:  Bologna generally seemed more business-like and efficient than other parts of Italy.  The check-in process was super quick and efficient.  The hotel staff were very professional and spoke very good english.  The hotel obviously caters to many business travelers.  We did not prepay for this hotel so they took my credit card information at check-in, but I don't believe I was charged until after check-out.

Room:  Our room was small, but fulfilled all of our needs.  Unlike our last hotel (Castello Vicchiomaggio) which was more rustic, I Portici was incredibly modern and sparse.  Despite it's small size however, everything was designed thoughtfully to maximize use and efficiency.  For example, even though there wasn't really a closet or lots of counter space, the ample and well-placed shelving actually provided more storage space than most of our other Italian hotel rooms.  The shower was small, but the water pressure and temperature were perfect (if you like super hot showers like me), and if you close the doors fully, the steam doesn't escape from the shower into the rest of the bathroom.  I'm also happy to report that the bed was comfortable too.  


Note - If you have lots of luggage or more than 2 people, you will need a bigger room.

Location:  The hotel is located on a main thoroughfare in the city (Via Indipendenza.  It is adjacent to a park (Parco Della Montagnola) that was hosting free summer concerts.  On one morning, I saw some joggers leisurely jogging in the park.  I think this may be the first time I've ever seen Italian joggers - but they definitely treat it as more of a leisurely activity than the runners I normally see in California who treat their daily runs as a competitive sport.   

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the train station and about a 10 minute walk to the main piazza in town - Piazza Maggiore. 

There are lots of covered arches and walkways through the city - which is helpful if it rains or if it gets too sunny.



Service:  Service was very professional and efficient here.  I have absolutely no complaints.

Food:  We only ate at the I Portici restaurant for dinner which was fabulous - see a blog of our experience here.  We did have drinks at the bar/restaurant on the 2nd floor but that wasn't particularly memorable.

Misc:  There was a hot water kettle with a nice array of teas and coffees in the room which I appreciated.  I enjoy being able to make my own coffee in the morning and tea at night.  While it's standard in most Asian hotels to offer this amenity, it seems rare in European and American hotels.

Check out:  Again, very efficient and easy.  The bill was accurate.  What more could I ask for?

Recommend?  I would recommend this hotel for people who like efficiency.  The location is quite convenient - especially if you are taking the train; and everything ran like clockwork.  It isn't particularly "charming", so if you are looking for that type of experience, this might not be for you.

(Average cost per night - approximately $135)

No comments:

Post a Comment