Thursday, June 26, 2014

what i packed in my travel makeup bags for 3 weeks in italy

I normally don't like to pack too much when I travel since I despise checking in luggage, but this was my honeymoon so I made an exception because I wanted to look pretty in my travel pictures for once.  In preparing to pack and edit my makeup for the trip, I considered a few key factors:


  • longlasting - I wanted to bring longlasting, mattifying makeup since i was traveling during the summer and I didn't want to have my makeup melt off me or make me look greasy.
  • versatility - I wanted to be able to create many looks with fewer products.
  • size - I considered the size and packaging of the products since I didn't want to bring too many bulky items.  I usually hoard mini and deluxe samples just for travel.  Also, you can always go to Sephora and ask them to give you a few samples of your normal products for travel purposes.  In my experience they've always been very nice about that.
So, what did I end up with?



mini-bag (for the airplane ride):  Since I was going to be on a long non-stop flight from LAX to Rome, I planned to do a mini-spa treatment on the plane before applying some natural makeup when I land.  I had to split my products into 2 bags - one for liquids and one for non-liquids.

makeup (in my check-in luggage):

Ok - I know this seems like a lot, but most of this stuff was mini or sample sized so they all fit in neatly to a few cosmetics bags and barely took up any luggage space.

What are your makeup travel staples?

(8.19.2014 update)
Ok, so in hindsight - I clearly overpacked.  While I was in Italy, I pared down my products and noticed I was using the same things over and over again.  It was also quite hot so I naturally used less makeup.  Moreover, I got lazy on vacation and didn't want to be bothered.

So basically I only really used the following:
- It cosmetics CC cream - loved this and it has a spf of 50, which is awesome for the summer
- Anastasia brow wiz - holy grail
- Perricone MD mascara - loved this!  a bit "wet" but once it sets you get naturally pretty thick lashes
- eyelash curler & 3 brushes
- powder
- Perricone MD blush - loved this!  nice natural flush
- YSL volupte sheer candy - so luxe and comfy on the lips
- Revlon just bitten (honey) - another holy grail staple
- urban decay setting spray
- ByTerry eyeshadow stick -  ok, clearly i shouldn't have brought a huge palette when i could just smudge some color on my eyes and go....

In the future, I will remember this and try to pack less makeup!

No comments:

Post a Comment