Friday, June 13, 2014

tom bihn aeronaut carry-on luggage and eaglecreek packing cubes review

This is my Goldilocks story with luggage, not beds. In my twenties (I blame naivety and vigor of youth), I never left for an international trip without an 28 in. check-in bag, an 22 in. wheeled carry-on bag and a backpack. I once went on an 35 day, 13 city Contiki European tour with that much luggage. That meant I had to hull all that bulk and weight around every other day as we moved on to the next destination. Then I had an “ah-ha” moment and tried three weeks in China with only one 22 in. wheeled carry-on bag and a backpack. Despite wild temperature swings from freezing in Snow Jade Mountain to sticky humidity in Hong Kong, I survived on what I carried. Over the years, I’ve experimented with Tumi Alpha wheeled carry-on bag, framed backpack with wheels, wheeled dufflebag and finally found the carry-on that just fits me right: Tom Bihn Aeronaut.

Aeronaut is the best for the type of travelling I’m interested in: 2-3 week multi-city international trips. It’s 22 inches long and is extremely durable yet light weight at only 2 lb 7 oz. I don’t need to tell you that most American airlines charge for checked luggage (international trips typically exempt). Also many European budget airlines like Ryanair and easyjet charge extra 25E-50E for one checked bag. And if you are afraid of losing your luggage you will not want to check luggage anyway. Carry-on size restriction is typically 22 inches in height. To add to complications, many international airlines- Singapore, Virgin Atlantic to name a few- limit in-cabin luggage weight to 8kg (18 lb),10 kg (22 lbs) respectively! Although I had proper size carry-on, I was once forced to check luggage by Virgin Atlantic under this unreasonable weight rule on the start of a safari trip. I almost missed my connection to Botswana via Johannesburg (there’s only one flight a day) when delays in air and customs left me with little time to recollect my luggage for the next leg. I had a panic attack and contemplated traveling for next 10 days with just the clothes on my back. After that terrible experience, I vowed never again to be forced to check luggage at the start of my travel (return home is ok). Now 22 in. size bag under 18 lb is the goal for start of each trip. Aeronaut has well padded shoulder straps and side handles and no wheels nor re-enforced frame which typically add significant weight and bulk. I rather carry extra clothes than waste precious weight allowance on the luggage itself. And without any hard frame or wheels it’s squishable, if needed, as I found on a recent easyjet flight to Morocco. Others who couldn't cram their bags into the crowded overhead compartment due to the wheels were forced to gate-check their bags. And did I mention it is super durable and water-resistant? And on a superficial note, it comes in awesome color combinations.



Dimensions: 22" x 14" x 9"; Weight: 1050d high tenacity ballistic nylon 3lb 1oz, 400d Dyneema/420 nylon ripstop 2 lb 7 oz; Volume: 45 liters.

But you may say, there’s no way you can fit all your clothes in one carry-on bag. You can with thoroughly thought out packing list and some assistance with packing cubes. Not only do they help fit clothes more compactly, they assist in organizing your items and speed up packing/unpacking at various destinations. Tom Bihn has some nice ones, but they are pricey. I find eaglecreek specter line especially useful. There is a variety of sizes. Large is useful for pants, sweaters or jackets. I can fit 3 pairs of pants and jacket in a large. Medium is good for tops; I can fit 5-7 tops depending on items' bulk. Small is good for underwear or swimsuits. They are made out of silnylon ripstop which is ulta light and durable. I have eBags slim packing cubes for other items like a junk drawer for travel, they are more an organizational than compacting tool.

CAPACITY 650 cu in / 10.5 L
WEIGHT 1 oz
DIMENSIONS 14" x 10" x 3"

CAPACITY 300 cu in / 5 L; 75/1.6 L
WEIGHT 0.6 oz
DIMENSIONS 10" x 7" x 3"

CAPACITY 150 cu in | 2.5 L
WEIGHT 2.5 oz
DIMENSIONS 13"x 4" x 3"

WEIGHT 8oz
DIMENSIONS 14" x 5" x 2.75"


I also pack my Longchamp Le Pliage Travel Bag. This ultra light nylon canvas is renowned for its durability and chic style. I discovered it while travelling to Paris via the chunnel from London years ago. While I struggled with my cumbersome 22 in. wheeled luggage on the stairs and crowded train platform, these smart Parisans with hand-held Le Pilage Travel bags easily navigated by me. I’ve had this one for 10 years and I never leave it home when I know I will be doing souvenir shopping (so always) and need extra luggage space for my return trip. I just add a small lock and I check it without worrying it will tear. Dimensions are 17 3/4 x 14 x 9 inches.

Tote
For in-cabin "personal bag," I carry Longchamp Le Pliage Tote. The cavernous bag is great to stuff in in-air essentials: noise cancelling headphones, memory foam neck pillow, cover-up, essential toiletry, preferred electronics, and change of clothes. It is also useful for daily use during the trip. When I'm walking 20,000 steps a day sight-seeing, carrying a heavy day bag is out of the question. Dimensions are 12 1/4 x 12 x 7 1/2 inches.

6 comments:

  1. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! Best Luggage Straps in 2018

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have.
    top-5-best-carry-luggage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here you will learn what is important, it gives you a link to an interesting web page:
    top-5-best-luggage-locks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great post on your blog, it really gives me an insight on this topic.
    Direct flights to Tokyo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, excellent post. I'd like to draft like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article. This post has encouraged me to write some posts that I am going to write soon. Travel luggage

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, excellent post. I'd like to draft like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article. This post has encouraged me to write some posts that I am going to write soon.
    best suitcase

    ReplyDelete