Monday, June 16, 2014

sazy rock's rio de janeiro: highlights and lowlights

In honor of the World Cup, I am recapping a three week solo trip to Brasil. First up is Rio because, well, it's Rio. So without further ado, these are my highlights and lowlights that you might want to consider on your next trip to Cidade Maravilhosa or Marvelous City.

Highlights
1. The Cariocas - I met some Cariocas (residents of Rio) through Couchsurfing.com and it was my pleasure to share meals and drinks with them and take part in their Rio. They were friendly and up for anything - whether it's chatting or clubbing or whatever else. Indeed, to this day, I am pleased to still call them friends. As with any online service (including Couchsurfing and Airbnb), please be vigilant and make sure people you decide to meet in person are properly vetted.

2.  Soccer/Football - This is a no-brainer. Brazilians in general, and Cariocas, in particular, are big football (a.k.a. soccer) fans. If you are in town, try to watch a game at Maracana Stadium, one of the most legendary venues for the sport. It is a lot of fun but it gets wild. And it does get crazy. The locals really get into the game. You can go on  your own or go with a tour like Viator (where you can get a discount if you have the AAA card). Either way, just be aware of your surroundings. Because there are a lot more guys than gals that go to the games, the women's restroom will likely have no lines, or, at least, shorter lines. (No line is a definite highlight!) Even if you miss the World Cup, you should still try to watch a game between the many teams from Rio. I think I rooted for Flamengo.


As you can see, it gets a bit wild at Maracana.

A game of Footvolley.
3.  The beach and footvolley - Rio always brings up visions of beautiful men and women sunning themselves on the famed Copacabana and Ipanema beaches. And it's true. You can spend days just chilling on the beach. But if you want to get some exercise while still getting serious beachtime, locals play a hybrid of football and volleyball called footvolley. It's pretty fun to watch and I'm sure I would have had fun playing it but for the fact that I have no athletic bone in my body. Try it when you visit but remember to secure your belongings - the beach gets very crowded and pickpockets have been known to make an appearance or two. For more details on the beach scene, check out the post of guest blogger and our good friend, Caipi, here.

Woohoo!

4. Hang gliding - The city is surrounded by mountains. Sometimes, they have a big statue of Jesus on them. Sometimes, they have homes. Sometimes, they look like sugar loaves. And sometimes, they look like the perfect place for hang gliding. For me, there is something serene and zen about gliding above buildings, long stretches of sandy beaches and the Atlantic. If this is your thing, Rio has it.

Caipisaque with various fruits.

5.  Caipirinha/Caipisaque - Cachaca, the Brazilian liquor, is a potent one. But when mixed with fruits, it's tasty (although still potent). Try it and have fun with it. For a twist, substitute cachaca with sake and you get caipisaque.
Parque Lage with the Cristo in the background.
Also, part of the setting for Snoop Dogg and
Pharrell's "Beautiful" video.





6.  Parque Lage - I think everyone is familiar with Cristo Redentor (or the big Jesus) but I don't think everyone is as familiar with Parque Lage. It is a beautiful place to walk and see the gardens and other flora. Just remember that it gets humid so make sure you are properly hydrated.

6.  Clubbing - The party starts late. The friends I met took me clubbing and although we got to the club at midnight, we were still early. You have been warned. But, if clubbing is your thing (as it was for me when I was younger), the Cariocas know how to have fun.

Lowlight
1.  The food - Don't get me wrong, buying fresh coconut and drinking fruit juices were highlights for me. I am talking about the savory meals though. Unfortunately, I had no eating highlight.

I had a great time in Rio. I can't say I had a lot of lowlights or felt unsafe but, to be fair, I didn't take public transportation (I walked a lot or took taxis) and I spent only five days in the City (I spent most of my time in Brazil's northeast). As with any city, be vigilant about your surroundings especially when you are traveling solo.

If you've visited, what did you enjoy about Rio? If not but plan to in the future, what do you want to see or do in Rio?

No comments:

Post a Comment