Wednesday, August 24, 2016

my experence using uber in nice, france (summer 2016)

(Nice, France).  On my recent travels, it has become a habit for me to research whether my destinations have uber.  It's advisable to check right before you arrive since uber is still relatively new in many areas where the laws may be unclear and/or where uber is subject to attack by local taxi organizations (literally or figuratively).  For example, last year when I went to Paris, uber cars were physically being attacked so I refrained from using uber while I was there and opted to pay for the overpriced taxis.  This year, however, I read several articles and blogs which confirmed that uber was widely used in Nice and was preferred by the locals - being cheaper than taxis.

When we landed in the airport, I checked my app and lo and behold, there were uber cars available.  I recall reading that there's a "Kiss and Fly" zone where the uber cars pick riders up.  So my husband and I simply found the zone, requested a car, and then we were off to our hotel!  So easy!

Since my French is basically non-existent despite years of high school French courses, it was helpful to be able to type in the destination point, instead of trying to tell the driver where to go - especially since many of the drivers we encountered did not really speak English.  

We used uber several times in the city successfully so I would definitely recommend it.  Nice is pretty walkable for tourists so you may not have to rely on cars for much - but it was definitely useful for going to and from the airport.

But again - remember to check before you go since the situation may change.  When we went to Budapest after Nice, we found out that uber had just been outlawed there, which was quite disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment