Wednesday, June 10, 2015

restaurant review: slanted door in san francisco

(San Francisco, CA).  The first time I went to Slanted Door was probably around 13 years ago and I'm happy to report (based on a recent visit) that it's still as tasty as ever.   It is a great special occasion/date restaurant - there's always an energetic atmosphere, a gorgeous view, fantastic service and delicious, modern and award-winning Vietnamese cuisine.  It's rare for a restaurant to stay open while maintaining its quality and hype, and yet somehow Slanted Door has managed to stay on top.   My husband had never eaten here before and I was happy to introduce him to some of my favorite dishes.


We had the classic shaking beef which is my favorite dish here.  The price has creeped up higher and higher over the years and I'm not sure it's worth the $38 price tag now, but it is still quite delicious.  


I also enjoyed the crispy imperial rolls ($13) and the crab cellophane noodles ($21) which has a lovely spicy kick.  My husband wanted to try the pork spare ribs and I have to say this was a bit of a disappointment - way too saucy and simply uninspired.


I would definitely stay with their classic dishes and their vegetable dishes are usually appealing (i.e., the sauteed corn dish, but then I'm partial to all things corn....)  I'm glad my husband was able to try it, but to be honest, this restaurant is better enjoyed with a larger group of people.  Only then can you experience all the different flavors that this place has to offer.


If you are visiting San Francisco, I would recommend checking out Slanted Door.  It does offer something rare in the U.S. - high end Vietnamese cuisine, expertly prepared.  

Our meal for two with wine was about $200.

The restaurant is located in the Ferry Building.  For a cheaper option, you can try the sister restaurant - Out the Door - which serves tasty savory buns, noodle dishes, imperial rolls, etc., which you can eat at the counter or take to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment