Wednesday, June 3, 2015

hotel review: scarlet huntington on nob hill in san francisco

View from our room.
(San Francisco, CA).  Based on reading the lovely reviews on tripadvisor, I decided to try yet another boutique hotel in San Francisco - namely, the Scarlet Huntington.  I had avoided the Nob Hill area in the last few years since I am lazy and didn't want to trek up and down those hills, but the thought of being able to enjoy the views of the city while enjoying an indoor pool/jacuzzi was sufficient to entice me out of my laziness.
 
View of entrance from across the street.

After almost an entire week at a business hotel in the financial district, it was a nice treat to 'upgrade' to a more luxurious experience.  So how was my stay?
 
Really delightful!

Check-in:  The moment I stepped into the lobby I felt wrapped in comfort and serenity.  I'm guessing it's because it smelled like a spa and the service was attentive and welcoming.  The decor is upscale and elegant but also quite bright and contemporary.  Despite being super early (around 9 am), they were able to get me into a room quickly and efficiently which was greatly appreciated since I wasn't feeling that well.


Room:  This was probably one of the biggest rooms I've ever stayed at in San Francisco.  The only other comparable room was probably at the St. Regis ... but that room was weirdly shaped and (I suspect) haunted ... but that's another story.  This room was spacious and bright, with a large closet and long bathroom.  The view of the city was breathtaking - day and night!  

The bed and linens were comfortable and crisp.  The toiletries were L'Occitane (awesome) - and my husband was so blown away by the soap that I had to get him some for our home.

It had everything I would have wanted - a decently sized safe, a coffee maker, comfy robes and slippers ....


Service:  Generally very good - the front desk (efficient and helpful), the bell hop (also super helpful), the room service (quick and tasty) and the concierge - who went above and beyond to check my brunch reservations and ensure that we had a high chair for my friend's baby.  He said he would call me back and actually did it.  (It's shocking how many times concierges say they would do something and then completely fail to deliver.)  

The only mediocre service I got was actually in the spa which is a bit surprising and disappointing.  The first person I met rudely asked me if I were a hotel guest and when I confirmed I was, she couldn't even be bothered to give me a tour of the facility - which is a pretty basic service provided at almost every spa I've ever used.  A second staff member was much nicer and showed me around so I knew where I could shower/change.  The hotel could do a better job at informing its guests on how to use the spa facilities - for example, they don't give you a locker unless you are getting a treatment.  Had I known I would have left my stuff in my room and just come down in my robe.


Location: The location is kitty corner from Grace Cathedral and near the Fairmont and the Interncontinental Mark Hopkins (which has a great bar - Top of the Mark - great service, great martinis and tasty treats ... a little bit snooty but once you get seated, that seems to melt away). The views are great from all the hotels up here but due to the steep hills, you'll either need to take taxis or ubers or not mind the steep climb.  It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to Union Square ... not far but getting back can be a bit tough. 

Spa/Gym/Car Service:  The hotel has a luxurious little spa which is open to the public.  As a hotel guest, you can use the facilities (pool, jacuzzi, steam room, gym, etc.) for free.  I didn't get a treatment but the facilities were pretty nice.  Not the best or the most pristine I've ever seen but acceptable.  There's a lovely patio where you can enjoy the views where you lounge on comfy chaises.

I didn't use the gym, but when I peeked in it looked pretty standard - a few treadmills, some free weights, etc.

They do offer a nifty car service until 4 pm everyday to take you to the Financial District or Union Square which is free.  Great if you need to get to a meeting or go shopping!

Food:  I had room service when I was feeling under the weather and while it was a tad expensive, it was very good and quickly delivered.  I got a chicken pot pie with a vodka gimlet... I think it cost me almost $60 with tax, tip and service charge... but I was able to enjoy it comfortably in my room while I worked, so it was worth it to me.

We also met friends at the hotel restaurant for brunch - the Big 4 Restaurant - and the food and service were lovely.  (I think the food for the room service is actually from this restaurant.)  My friend's kid actually made a huge mess but the waitstaff were really kind about it.


Check-out:  Very smooth and easy - bill was accurate.  They held our bags for us since we had a later flight and had it ready for us to grab when we had our uber car waiting on the curb. 

Price: I think I booked on expedia and the average was $280 per night, but with all the fees, etc., it was probably closer to $320 per night.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay here.  We slept super well, the hotel was quiet in the evening, and the service (except for the spa lady) was superb.  I would definitely stay here again!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment