Monday, March 16, 2015

restaurant review: batard in new york city

On a recent trip to New York, I was very keen to check out Batard because it has received good reviews from the New York Times, among others. So, I made reservations for Mr. Sazy Rock, two of our friends and me. On the evening we ate at Batard, we we braved a cold winter (I'm from LA so my idea of freezing is about 70F and that night was about 19F) to trek there. My thoughts are below:


The Scene
We could only get a 9 pm reservation for four people. When we arrived, it was buzzy but as the night went on, tables started to empty out. It was a nice cozy room and a lot less formal than its former iteration as Corton.


The Food


We tried to order a few items on the menu when we arrived. Sadly, when we ordered (sometime around 9 and 9:30 pm), the pot au feu was gone, and there was only one schnitzel left, which was a shame because two of us wanted a schnitzel. We shared all the dishes.
  • The bread - I really enjoyed the breads (mini pretzel and a mini baguette), which came warm.

Bread.

  • Tete de Cochon - A bit underseasoned.

Tete de Cochon.

  • Octopus "Pastrami" - This dish was more interesting in theory than in application. While the octopus was cooked perfectly (neither hard nor rubbery), it needed a bit of seasoning. It also did not stand out. But, it looked like other pieces were joined together to make a patchwork of octopus (or octopi?).

Octopus Pastrami.

  • Short Rib & Tafelspitz Terrine - I don't remember this dish.

Short Rib Terrine.

  • Lobster with quinoa - The lobster was perfectly cooked. There was a nice snap when I bit into it and it was beautifully sweet. But, the quinoa was bland.

Lobster Special.

Quinoa with the Lobster Special.

  • Chicken schnitzel - The breading was nice and crunchy. (Sorry, no picture.)

  • Sweetbread Strudel - I also do not remember this dish.

Strudel.

  • We ordered another dish but I don't remember that one either.


The Service
The host, servers, bussers and sommelier were all friendly. But, Mr. SR was not quite pleased when they served all our food even though one of us was still in the restroom. Of course, we all waited to touch our food while our companion came back. While the server covered our absent companion's food to presumably keep it warm, our dishes cooled as we waited.


The Price
We paid $55 per person for two courses and $21 for the cheeses. In addition, we paid for two bottles of wine, tax and tip.


The Verdict

I made reservations for four people via
OpenTable on the afternoon of the first of the month for a table on the 31st of that month. Although I was able to get a table, I could only get a 9 pm reservation. The restaurant requires a credit card to hold the reservation, and for you to email them that you agree with their cancellation policy. If you prefer, you may call (212) 219-2777 to book a table.

I was disappointed with my meal and the experience. It was such a shame because I really wanted to like it. Oh well.



Have you dined at Batard? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment