Wednesday, February 4, 2015

restaurant review: shu raku in vancouver


(Vancouver, Canada).  On our first day in Vancouver, we checked into our hotel around lunchtime and we were STAAARVING!  The concierge at the L'Hermitage Hotel realized we just wanted something fast, nearby and tasty, so he recommended Shu Raku Sake Bar & Bistro.  It was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel and we arrived just as they were opening (a little before noon) so we were able to snag a table immediately.  Thank goodness because I was about to pass out from hunger (and I was a little bit hangry much to my husband's chagrin).

Did Shu Raku meet our needs?


Yes!!!  I can't say it's the most amazing Japanese restaurant (and there are lots and lots of good Japanese restaurants in Vancouver), but the food was tasty and affordable and the service was nice.  It was obviously a popular spot for the business lunch crowd.  I'm guessing it's because of the great lunch specials.

My husband ordered a lunch special and it came with tons of tasty food (see picture below) and was only about 18 CAD.  I had a sushi sampler which was very fresh and was about 22 CAD.  
 
Look at all this food for 18 CAD!  There are ribs, sushi, egg rolls, veggies, salad, etc.


The experience was made even better with our refreshing sake flights.  I don't really know much about sake but I'm determined to educate myself before I go to Japan in the Fall.  My husband always gets hot sake, but I prefer cold sake so we (obviously) could not share a flight and had to get two.  I really enjoyed my sake flight especially with the helpful tasting notes.
 
Ahhhh- just what I needed after a cold brisk stroll.


We were so happy to be full and warm after feasting.  Thanks Shu Raku for feeding us!  It was our first meal in Vancouver and it did not disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment