Thursday, February 26, 2015

restaurant review: pine & crane (aka authentic taiwanese food in silverlake)

(Los Angeles, CA).  Los Angeles has long suffered from medicore and over-priced Chinese food, not to mention the astonishing lack of decent Taiwanese cuisine.  Everyone knows you have to travel about an hour towards the San Gabriel Valley to get true Chinese/Taiwanese cuisine, but no one really knows the answer why.
 
Bright and airy with attentive but casual service.


Recently a friend mentioned that Pine and Crane, a new Taiwanese restaurant, had opened in Silverlake (near Sunset Junction) but I (stupidly and with bias) assumed it would be a hipster twist and perversion of my beloved cuisine.  This is what happens when someone is disappointed for years and years...  Then Los Angeles magazine named it as one of the best new restaurants in 2014 and my interest was piqued. 


The first time I went was more for reconnaissance.  If it passed the initial test, I would bring my parents - who were the toughest critics when it came to authentic Taiwanese cooking especially since my mom is such an exceptional cook.

Much to my surprise (and pleasure) the food was all quite good and the flavors were authentic.  They also have a lovely selection of Taiwanese loose teas (and for those who don't know, Taiwan is quite famous for its teas).  


Recently, I took my parents and they really enjoyed the experience.  While they noted it was not the best Taiwanese food, it was acceptable and they would definitely return.  So Pine & Crane is "parent-approved" which is worth more than a Michelin star in my book!

Between my two trips, I tasted the following (mini reviews below):

  • Green scallion pancakes - pretty good, but I thought the potstickers and spicy shrimp wontons were better and more flavorful.
  • Spicy Shrimp wontons - delicate but with a nice kick.



  •  Potstickers - nicely caramelized and the filling is juicy and porky
  • Taiwanese sausage with garlic - a traditional appetizer; get it only if you like raw garlic!
  • Pork layered pancake - tasty but a bit filling; I would recommend sharing this.
  • Assorted cold salads - we tried the woodear mushrooms and bean curd salad - so refreshing and flavorful!  Very authentic.
  • Zha-Jiang (sp?) noodles - delicious!  It has a little bit of minced meat with veggies and black bean sauce; noodles are wonderfully textured and fresh.
  •  3-cup Jidori Chicken - wonderfully succulent pieces of chicken braised with garlic, ginger and chili peppers - served with a bowl of rice - soooo good!
  • Mapo Tofu - very flavorful; soft tofu with minced meat - perfect for mixing with steamed rice
  • Minced Pork on Rice - a Taiwanese comfort food classic - if you like meat with a slightly sweet soy sauce base, you'll like this.
  • Stir-fried pea shoots - super fresh from their own farms
There are only a few items on the menu I haven't tried but I suspect that will be remedied soon.  (As I'm posting my pictures now, I'm salivating... so hungry...)

The restaurant is located in a tiny shopping center and there isn't a parking lot so you have to find street parking.  They are open everyday except for Tuesdays.  

There are no reservations - it's first come - first serve.  You can't hold seats so it's best if your entire group are in line together.  You order, they give you a table number and then you find a place to sit.  The lines can be long so plan accordingly.

Or if you live locally, you may want to consider take-out and I think they may deliver to nearby locations.

I'm so happy that Pine & Crane has come to LA!  For those who have never had Taiwanese food, give it a try.  But beware - yummy Taiwanese food is addictive!   

No comments:

Post a Comment