Monday, August 4, 2014

top 5 reasons to visit wellington, new zealand

Wellingtonian activity.
Most folks who visit New Zealand spend a lot of their time in the South Island -- and I don't blame them. The South Island is beautiful and full of fun activities. That being said, I hope I can make the case for why travelers should not skip the North Island, and particularly, Wellington.

1.  It's a pretty town. Just imagine yourself in a small but cosmopolitan town next to the water and with hills overlooking the city. Many art installations dot the boardwalk by the waterfront. From the boardwalk, you can see kayakers, joggers, and other folks out and about. When you go up the hill either via furnicular, car or your own two feet, you can visit the botanical garden with not only beautiful flora but also an awesome Henry Moore sculpture you can get up close and personal with. There aren't any tall skyscrapers (probably as high as 35 stories) but the building architectures range from your funky beehive to gothic to modern. The streets are ridiculously clean and the air crisp. Now, wasn't that a pretty town?


2.  The people are nice.  I don't know whether niceness was specific to Wellington or the whole country in general. But, we met the nicest people who were from this fair town. In fact, a Wellingtonian couple my husband and I met while tramping (a.k.a. hiking) the Milford Track in the South Island invited us for a meal in their home when we told them we were passing though (we took them up on their offer). An employee at the New Zealand Supreme Court offered us a private tour when we poked our heads in (we also took her up on her offer). And, all the people we met while wandering around town where very friendly and helpful.
Wellington

3.  It's a good place to learn about New Zealand's history. The Te Papa Museum is not only free but a good place to learn about New Zealand and her people. Through my visit, I learned that New Zealand's wine making history was started by Croatian immigrants. I found that fact particularly awesome because I think Croatia has some pretty good, but relatively unknown wines. Plus, just like New Zealand, Croatia is another gorgeous country (more on that on another post).

One of the many art installations in Wellington.
4.  It's a great place to learn about women's suffrage. Did you know that the first country to ever allow women the right to vote was New Zealand? I didn't know that until I visited the National Archives in Wellington. It's a pretty amazing story and, even if you already knew that fact, if you visit the city, you get to see the documents that helped bring about that historical event - for free.

5.  Apparently, a lot of good craft beer. I say "apparently" because I am not a beer connoisseur. Don't get me wrong - I'll drink it and I'll do it with enthusiasm. But, my beer knowledge is limited. (Although, I am working on it.) My hubby's knowledge of beer, among other things, is way more extensive than mine (he has written about it and has even helped make beer for the American Brewing Company), and he thought that the craft brewing was good. So, I'm just going to take his word for it.

Do you agree or disagree that travelers shouldn't skip Wellington? If you have visited the city, what did you enjoy about it?








No comments:

Post a Comment