Wednesday, September 28, 2016

le voilier plage: beach club in nice


(Nice, France).  The beach in Nice - like the beaches along the Amalfi Coast in Italy - is quite rocky and lined with private beach clubs.   There are free, public areas along the beach interspersed between the clubs.  Either option enjoys the same view and water - but with the club, you get a lounge chair, shade and full food/drink service.  In the U.S., I would probably not consider paying for this type of "luxury", but I was on vacation so why not?


There were several choices in clubs and the ratings online were mixed for all of them, so we went with Le Voilier Plage because our friends were able to get a slight discount through their hotel concierge.   So if you are interested in a beach club experience, check with your hotel concierge to see if you can get a recommendation and/or discount.



I arrived early and was able to enjoy several hours of wonderful relaxation in the sun, while the waiter brought me juices, rose and lunch.  The food was mediocre but tolerable.  I would probably stick with the burger, sandwiches and french fries.  




The water was refreshing and cool, but I found it difficult to walk through the pebbles getting in and out of the water so I only took one little dip in the ocean.  But all in all it was a lovely day in the sun.



These clubs are never cheap especially if you include all the overpriced food/drinks - but it's a great experience so I would still recommend it if you are visiting Nice.  If you don't want to spend the money on club fees, just pack your own picnic, bring a thick towel or chair and head to the public beaches - and it will still be a great day at the beach.



Also, if I had to compare beach clubs, my favorite would still be the Fontelina in Capri - which was on a totally different level in terms of food and experience (reviewed here).

No comments:

Post a Comment