Monday, November 30, 2015

the latest on cash machines (atm's) in myanmar

The Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon.
Prior to my recent visit to Myanmar (aka Burma), many websites strongly advised travelers to bring crisp dollar bills because of the lack of ATMs (or automatic teller machines) in the country. For many skittish travelers wary of carrying around large sums of cash, I have good news!


Mr. Sazy Rock and I traveled to Yangon and Bagan in November 2015, and we saw enough ATMs around both towns. It definitely made me annoyed that (1) I unnecessarily stressed out pre-trip trying to find banks with crisp bills, and (2) we brought cash when we were staying in places without any room safe.

At the Yangon International Airport (RGN), where we quickly went through immigration, Mr. SR and I easily withdrew money from an ATM. From where I stood in the immigration line, I could see Money Changer Booths and an ATM at the end of the room (past the baggage claim conveyor belts). Note, that the local bank where I withdrew the money charged me a fee, and my bank charged me a ridiculous amount for an "exchange rate fee" and a non-affiliated ATM fee (really, Chase?). If I did not have to carry around dollars (based on the mistaken premise that ATMs were hard to find), the ATM bank fees were totally worth it for me. (For some of you, it might be more advantageous to carry cash and exchange them to avoid all the fees.)
ATMs at the Shwedagon Pagoda.

In Yangon itself, I remember seeing a few ATM's at one of the entrances to Shwedagon Pagoda, in Bogyoke market, at malls, in the Central Rail station, inside major hotels like at the ShangriLa Hotel and at the Governor's Residence, and on major streets like Bogyoke Road, Pyay Road and Strand Road.


ATMs on Strand Road.

In the Bagan area, I saw ATMs primarily in New Bagan (although I suspect the bigger town of Nyaung U has them). I remember seeing an ATM at the Green Elephant Restaurant, and on Kayay Street.

If you have been to Myanmar, please feel free to share where else you have seen ATMs in town.


Update: I should also note that, during our visit, credit cards were still rarely accepted. In fact, we did not use our credit cards at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment