Monday, November 9, 2015

restaurant review: pecan lodge in dallas for some bbq

Pecan Lodge.

Texans take their BBQ seriously. In fact, some of the best brisket and sausages I have had were in Lockhart, TX. So, on a recent trip to Dallas, the hubby and I decided to check out Dallas 'Q at Pecan Lodge


The Scene
First, this place was popular. We went for lunner (between lunch and dinner) and the lines were long (although moved fairly quickly) and every table in the place were occupied. Luckily for us, I am good at stalking tables and found us a spot immediately.
Long lines.

Second, the vibe was great. Everyone seemed to be having a great time... even though it was only lunner.
Crowded and popular.

The Food 

We ordered a 3 meat plus one side combo meal plus a side of burnt ends, and shared all of them. I had to control myself because I wanted to avoid meat sweats.

We opted for the following:
A rib, brisket and a sausage.

  • Ribs (or rib) - it was ok. It had that nice crescent shape when I bit into it. But, I have had better at Smitty's in Lockhart, TX.
  • Jalapeno sausage - the meat inside the casing was a bit dry, grainy and loose, and the sausage overall was a bit greasy. I was not a fan. 
  • Brisket - it was smoky, fatty and tender. No, I'm not talking about me.
  • Burnt ends - Smoky and firm.

Burnt ends.

  • Collared greens - mixed with big chunks of bacon, this side dish held a lot of promise. But, it was sooooooooo sweet.

The meal.

The Service 
Although Pecan Lodge did not offer table service, I just wanted to commend the busser who was so quick to clean out tables every time someone stood up. This made eating there worth it because, seeing the long lines and full tables, I was tempted to walk out.

The cashiers were also sweet and moved the lines along at a rapid pace. They were also kind enough to invite us to the outdoor smoker area where all the magic happened.
The smokers.

The Price 

Our meal was fairly reasonable. Not the cheapest. But, reasonable.


The menu.
The Verdict 
Our meal was very average, which was surprising given all the accolades. It definitely was not the best BBQ I have ever had (or even in Texas - Black's in Lockhart, TX still wins!). But, would I have wanted one in Los Angeles? Yes, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment