Monday, September 14, 2015

restaurant review: crow's nest in anchorage

Sunset from the Crow's Nest with the Sleeping Lady in the distance.
If there is one thing the Crow's Nest restaurant is known for, it is the spectacular views. It is located at the top of the Captain Hook Hotel (where President Obama stayed during his visit to Anchorage). It has a fantastic view of the intersection where Cook Inlet, Turnagain Arm and Knik Arm meet. On a clear day, diners can see Mt. Denali loom in the distance. Nearer to town, and no less impressive, is a view of The Sleeping Lady (or officially, Mt. Susitna, which looks like a sleeping lady). In my experience, the fantastic views usually do not bode well as far as dining experiences go. But, I thought, perhaps this place is different?



The Scene
The first thing I should note is that this place is a fine dining restaurant. During my visit, I saw some folks wearing more business casual attire but it was more common to see men wearing jackets with slacks.

Diners also appeared to either talk business or be on a romantic rendezvous. Either way, they all appeared to be animated and having fun.

The host showed our large group to a corner private room with a great view of the sun setting over mountain ranges (including The Sleeping Lady and Mt. Denali) and glistening water. It was a sight to see. Mind you, during the summer, the sun sets around 9:30 to 10 pm so plan accordingly.


One of our views.

The Food

I did not really get to taste my companions' dishes because most of them ordered a steak, which I did not want to eat (I wanted Alaskan seafood). So, I only have opinions on what I did taste.


  • Olive bread and whipped butter - the bread was served warm and the butter was fluffy and light.
  • Lemon Panna Cotta Amuse Bouche - served with lemon and a peppercorn sauce, this dish was bright.
Amuse Bouche.
  • Charcuterie and Cheese Plates - all sorts of cold preserved meat, including a foie gras torchon, and cheese. They were all nondescript.
Charcuterie and Cheese Plates.
  • Crab Bisque - a bit too watery.
Crab before the Bisque.
Crab Bisque.
  • Caesar's Salad - the dressing was too acidic for me but I liked the saltiness and crunchiness of the cheese chip topping.
  • Scallops - this dish was the star of the show for me. They were sweet, meaty, tender and not rubbery.
Alaskan Scallops.
  • Bananas Foster - fantastic table side preparation. It was perfectly nice and sweet although the ice cream was store bought... a Haagen Daas brand.

Bananas Foster.


The Service
Everyone from the hosts, to the servers, to the sommelier to the bussers were friendly and efficient. They had great suggestions about wines and the dishes. They also kindly pointed out Mt. Denali to me. They definitely made a visitor feel welcome and, as locals, they proudly showed off the beauty of their town.

The Price
I cannot say that a meal at the Crow's Nest is cheap. It is a fine dining restaurant, after all. Luckily, one of my dining companions generously and kindly foot the bill. Check out the menu below for prices.
Dinner Menu.
Dessert Menu.

The Verdict
Despite the hefty price, for some, it is well worth the price for the views alone. For me, the views were definitely gorgeous, and the staff were great. But, the dishes had hits and misses. That being said, although I can't say that the meal, by itself, was spectacular, I can give an "okay" recommendation.


What restaurant with a view and good food do you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment