Thursday, September 24, 2015

global entry is awesome!!! (must have for frequent travelers)

I finally used my Global Entry recently and it was absolutely fantastic and worth it!  (For those who don't know, Global Entry is an expedited clearance program for pre-approved, low-risk travelers who are citizens or permanent residents.)

Here is a description of my experience on September 19, 2015.  Upon landing in LAX after a 10 hour flight from Tokyo, we slowly dragged our tired sore bodies towards the Customs/Immigration lines.  We looked to our right and saw a large mass of equally tired looking travelers in a line that was reminiscent of a Disneyland queue for one of its more popular rides.  But then we looked a little to the left and saw a sign for Global Entry.  No lines at all!  There were about 4 rows of kiosks and most of them were empty.  I walked right up to a kiosk and scanned my passport.  I was prompted to answer a few questions on the screen, had my fingerprints scanned and looked into a camera.  The kiosk issued a receipt with my photo on it (yikes!) and then I was on my way to the Baggage Claim area.  

After getting our bags we looked for the exit.  Again, on the right was a massive line of people getting out of customs.  On the left was barely a line for Global Entry.  I handed my receipt to the customer officer who asked me where I was traveling from and then I was off on a taxi and headed home!

I think the Global Entry access probably saved me an hour of waiting in lines!  AWESOME!

So, how do you get Global Entry?


 Application Process.  First you have to apply on-line through the Official U.S. Government Website (link here).  When I applied, I believe I paid $110 for the enrollment fee.  After submitting the online application, it took a week or so to get a conditional pre-approval.  I was then prompted to schedule an interview.  There are several locations, but I picked a location at LAX.

The interview is relatively quick.  Unfortunately I missed one piece of paperwork and the customs officer I got seemed really irritated with me and started interrogating me like I was a suspect on Law & Order.  Despite the grilling, he appeared to approve me and took my official photo for the Global Entry card, but then I heard nothing for about a month...  (My husband who interviewed the same time as me got his online approval an hour after the interview and his official card about three days later.)  I thought the officer was going to decline me so I emailed and asked a month later about my status.  Two hours after my email I got my online approval and my card in a few days.  I suspect I had already been approved a month before but for whatever reason my approval never got processed.  (argh)

TSA Pre-Check.  I decided to apply for the Global Entry access because it also includes the TSA Pre-Check approval which allows you to go through the expedited security lines in participating airports for participating airlines.  Essentially when you check into your flight you can put in your Global Entry (or Known Traveler) Number and your boarding pass should be flagged for the TSA Pre-Check security lines.  The benefits are - you don't have to take out your laptop, liquids bag, etc., and you don't need to remove your shoes.  You should also be in line with other frequent travelers so you won't get stuck behind someone who has left his belt on, coins in his pockets and is transporting 5 bottles of water in his carry-on...

Unfortunately for me, Singapore Airlines is not a participant in the program so on my flight to Tokyo I wasn't able to benefit from TSA Pre-Check this time.  

I believe TSA Pre-Check is about $80, so, in my opinion, if you travel a lot, it's worth it to pay a little more for Global Entry, which includes TSA Pre-Check and lets you breeze by the massive lines to get home. 




No comments:

Post a Comment