Monday, August 17, 2015

restaurant review: chartreuse in detroit

Chartreuse.
If you ever find yourself in Detroit, you might find yourself surprised in more ways than one. The city might be down on its luck at the moment but the shell that made it once a great city still remains. Indeed, I found the architecture stunning, the art scene engaging and the history fascinating. 

On a recent trip to the Motor City, Mr. Sazy Rock wanted to research its restaurant scene. Folks we met in the Midwest who frequented Detroit suggested that we check out Chartreuse. So, off we went to explore. 


The Scene 
Inside Chartreuse.
Located just a few minutes walk from the Detroit Institute of Art, which I recommend you should visit for the amazing Diego Rivera murals, Chartreuse had an open and bright space. The room was buzzy. The bar and lounge area also accommodated walk in diners. There was a wall garden by the bar, which I thought was beautiful. (As far as I could tell, however, the kitchen did not harvest salad greens from the wall garden as I have seen it done at the Epicurean Hotel restaurant in Tampa, FL.)  
The living garden on the wall.

The Food 

The menu looked very well curated. We ordered the following:


  • Sazerac - They actually have very good bartenders at Chartreuse. My sazerac was perfectly balanced. It was not sweet and not bitter. I loved it.
Sazerac.
  • Ramp butter - This was a delicious, garlicky and rich whipped butter. I only wished that the bread was served warm or hot.
Ramp butter.
  • Pea Ricotta - Mr. SR absoluted adored this dish. It was clean and fresh tasting. However, there was a ghostly flavor I could not identify that I did not like. I must admit that the taste might be an aftertaste from an earlier foray into all the Coney Island hotdogs I ate earlier in the day.
Pea Ricotta.
  • Vegetable plate - The vegetables on the plate were all from Recovery Park, a farm not far from the restaurant. The farm employed individuals who were given a second chance in life. The ingredients were very fresh and emphasized the natural sweetness of the vegetables. I also loved that the dressing was very light.
Vegetable plate.
  • Lake Superior Whitefish - This dish was cooled perfectly. The outer layer was crisp and the fish was steamed inside.
Whitefish.
  • Twice Cooked Egg - I loved this dish the best. The egg was poached then breaded and fried. As a result, the egg was soft boiled inside. The accompanying salad had Brussels sprouts, frisee and Parmesan cheese. They were also very fresh. The vegetables were dressed lightly with a white wine vinaigrette.
Twice cooked egg.
Twice cooked egg.
  • Warm Red Cabbage - This dish was slightly acidic and topped with crunchy duck skin. It was tasty dish.
Warm red cabbage.


The Service 

I had no complaints at all about the service. It was a casual and informal restaurant so the service was similarly casual and informal. Nonetheless, they were efficient and friendly.


The Price 

While I can not say that our meal was dirt cheap, it was fairly affordable. But, with the quality of the ingredients and the tastiness of the dishes, it was well worth the price.
Chartreuse Menu.
Chartreuse Menu.
The Verdict 

I really enjoyed our meal at Chartreuse. Perhaps it was because I was not expecting it. With apologies to Detroit, I had expected a decrepit and bankrupt city. And I expected the dining scene to barely whelm my appetite. I was glad to be mistaken and can truly say that I had a wonderful meal at Chartreuse.



What do you think about Detroit's dining scene?

No comments:

Post a Comment