Wednesday, August 5, 2015

packing tip: using contact lens cases for liquids and creams

After about 20 years of active traveling, I am pretty good at packing light, but I am always open to learn new tips even though it's pretty rare for me to hear anything new now.  But much to my happy surprise I came across a packing video on youtube recently that offered a solution to my constant struggle with the darn 3 ounce liquids rule.  The tip was so simple!  Just decant your liquids into a contact lens case - preferably the kind that screws shut.

While I am an avid collector of skincare samples, they are often too small for the duration of my trips, or they are new products which could end up irritating my skin.  I'd much rather use my routine skincare and makeup products but I don't always have sample sizes of them.  (Tip - you could go to Sephora and they are usually very nice about giving you a sample which can usually last 3-4 days, but that takes a lot of pre-planning.)  However, this tip of decanting your lotions, liquids and creams into eye contact lens cases is ingenious!  It's leak-proof, light, and if you use both sides and/or multiple cases, you could get enough product for your entire trip.  The cases are also easy to clean and quite durable - unlike many of the cheap travel containers you can buy in drugstores.

I'm preparing to head out on a trip to Paris and Berlin soon and I've been decanting my moisture masks, face lotion, face sunblock, and foundation into little cases.  I just put a strip of masking tape on each and label them, and I'm saving so much room in my carry-on luggage!  It's also great if you only want a small amount (i.e., night cream, face mask, etc.) for the plane ride without taking out your entire toiletries bag.

Have you ever tried this packing tip?

No comments:

Post a Comment