Wednesday, July 1, 2015

my experiences at wi spa (aka getting mercilessly scrubbed by an older korean lady)

(Los Angeles, CA).  I recently introduced a friend to her very first Korean spa visit.  As I was getting her mentally prepared for it, I realized that a visit to a Korean spa could be quite daunting for the uninitiated.  I thought back to my very first visit (so many years ago), and recalled how much I had to learn in terms of spa etiquette.   So here are some things I learned after years of going to Wi Spa.  (By no means am I an expert, but hopefully these tips will help you avoid any major faux pas in a similar spa.)


So here are some basic facts:

  • There are LOTS of different Korean spas in Koreatown in Los Angeles, but Wi Spa is probably a more upscale spa where they actually have English speaking staff.  For your first foray, I would definitely recommend this spa. It seems more and more people are discovering it - in fact Conan O'Brien did an incredibly funny bit on his visit to this exact spa.  (See it here.)  It's even funnier because it's all true!   
  • Korean spa prices tend to be much better than the typical American spa.  For example, a 90 minute treatment including a (very intense) body scrub and a massage is only $100, and includes use of all the facilities (i.e., several jacuzzis, steam room, dry saunas, clay room, jade room, ice room, etc.).  I think it's only around $30 for a day pass.
  • What is probably most shocking for most newbies is that you have to be naked in the actual spa area.  Totally naked.  It is not optional.  You can't wear swimwear, underwear - nothing.  So if you are shy, this may not be the spa for you.

If you still want to try it, then this is what happens when you actually go in for a buff & massage:

  • Parking - They do have a parking lot which is free, but it can get super packed.  Sometimes it can take a lot of effort to get your car out of the lot and the valet guys work really hard to keep the flow going, but there are simply too many cars.  I'd recommend parking on the street if you are lucky, or if you live close enough, you may want to uber it.  Also, please tip the valet guys - you'll see what I mean about how hard they work when you see them in action.
  • Check-In; Prepay - You check in at the front and prepay for your service.  You tip after your service - typically your buffer/masseuse will give you an envelope, but that means they expect the tip in cash.  I usually give the envelope back to my buffer/masseuse directly instead of giving it to reception. Tip - bring cash for tip!
  • Check-In; Key, T-Shirt, No Shoes! - At check in, you are provided with a locker key fob on an elastic, a tee-shirt and a teeny towel, and then you go down the stairs to the Women's Lounge.  Right before you enter, there are some shelves to your left with different bins of shorts.  Grab one in your size (note that they run small) and remove your shoes.  Remember no shoes are allowed in the actual lounge or treatment areas, so just carry them and stash them into your locker.
  • Find your locker and undress.  Your key fob will have a number correlating to your locker number.  Find your locker and tap your fob on the handle and it will open.  The fobs are waterproof and you just keep it on your wrist.  (The tee-shirt and shorts are only worn in the co-ed area - where they have heated floors, a restaurant, TVs playing Korean soap operas, lots of mangas, a kids' play area, and some computers for the teenagers.)
  • Take a Shower! - You have to be clean before you get into any of the tubs, so please shower or you will get nasty glares from the other ladies.  There are western style (normal) showers and eastern style (sit-down) showers.
  • Hot/Warm/Cold Baths - There are 3 tubs - the Hot is shockingly hot; the Warm is perfect; and the Cold is super cold.  Some people like to jump between the Hot and the Cold but I'm too wimpy for that.  Note that if you have a buffing scrub scheduled, you are required to sit in the Warm or Hot Bath for at least 15 minutes before your treatment.  If you don't, the Korean lady will yell at you because your skin won't be "ready" for the scrub.
  • Steam Room/Dry Sauna - I normally use these facilities after I finish my scrub and massage, but there's no rule here.  There's even a TV in the dry sauna room but since I don't understand Korean, I can only guess at what's happening.  The steam room is super hot, and this is the only room that I suspect isn't as clean as I would like it to be - mainly because it's so dark that I can't see anything.
  • Buff/Massage - When it's time for you, a lady will come to the spa area and announce your number.  She will then take you into an adjoining room filled with clinical looking stainless steel tables covered with bright pink rubber mats.  You are told to lie face down and I can't help but feel like I'm a fish at a fish market...  Then you are scrubbed like you've never been scrubbed before... Literally every inch of you is scrubbed.  And I mean literally every inch.  You are flipped over, turned to the sides, and mercilessly scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed.  You actually see your dead skin cells... Actually I'd recommend keeping your eyes closed since it looks a bit gross.  During intervals you are literally hosed off...  Yes, I know this sounds pretty awful but the results are wonderful.  Skin like a baby's butt.  When you are done with the buffing portion of the treatment, a cream cleanser is smeared on your face and then you are told to go wash your face and to sit in the dry sauna for 5 minutes.  Afterwards you return for your massage which also includes a mini-facial and a fabulous hair washing/scalp massage.  The massages here are very intense but awesome.  I always almost fall asleep!  When you are done, your hair is tied up in a super towel turban top knot.  I don't know how they do this...
  • Co-ed Area - After a treatment, I am usually so relaxed and lazy.  I will drink some lemon water and then put on the tee-shirt and shorts and go to the co-ed area.  I like to sit in the Clay Room or the Jade Room or the Salt Room - similar to a dry sauna but with different holistic properties.  There is also an igloo looking thing but it's so hot in there that I can't imagine being inside for more than 3 seconds.   The ice room is refreshing but not particularly attractive to look at ... it's like sitting in a refrigerator.  I've only eaten here a few times and the food is pretty mediocre, but convenient.
  • Getting Ready to Leave. When you are ready to leave there are vanities where you can do your hair and put on makeup.
  • Tip! Before you exit, remember to drop off the tip envelope with your masseuse.  There's also a little store that sells Korean skincare, haircare and makeup if you want some retail therapy.
So I hope this is helpful to someone who is thinking of going to a Korean spa.  If someone has recommendations for other Korean spas in the Los Angeles area, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Great Content! Thanks for sharing.
    Also if you are looking for the best massage spa in Los Angeles visit our website now!

    ReplyDelete